Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

34 58.62%
  • no

24 41.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are you happy

Difficult to be happy without a job, I have been looking a long time, about 30 years and not be able to go out and visit friends and family. It is boring. And boredom is an evil thing
    TH 12, 43 years post

I doubt I've ever been as happy post injury as I was pre injury. Some days I find joy in the world; some days are blah, let's get this day over with and go to sleep.

Met up with an old friend on FB from when I was 22 or so, back in California. He reminded me I'd show up on the construction site before anybody else, and when the crew would start draggin' their asses in, I'd yell "Goddamn it's good to be young and alive and living in America! Good mornin', it's gonna be another great day!!"

He reminded me I'd yell that every morning, laughing the whole time, and it all came back to me, those specific memories he resurrected in my mind - and I was glad he told me it made everyone feel good, even the grouchy older guys. My enthusiasm for just being alive was my greatest asset, something I could easily pass on to others - regretfully, that asset and that ability to influence others with my attitude didn't make it through my sci and out the other side.

Luckily I'm rarely really down in the dumps blue as many have posted here. My heart goes out to those who suffer the darker depressions of the soul. I wish you well.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

as happy as i can be just bored i used to be so outdoors but give me a good book
    but i rather be cleaning stalls fixing fence

my friends are dying off so its getting even loneier

I don't think "are you happy?" can be answered with a yes or no.
    I have moments of happiness and moments of unhappiness but overall I am content.
    C3/4 Brown Sequard

Happy?
    How can anyone be happy with a SCI? I had my accident two years ago, I was 64 years old. I had always been very independent and the most difficult thing has been to give up to someone else my most intimate daily living activities. But I have a wonderful support system, my family, my friends, my church, my caretakers have all been phenomenal! They keep my spirits up, they encourage me and they praise my efforts. They're always thinking up new challenges for me like teaching Vacation Bible School at my church, volunteering with Volunteers of America and even going on a Caribbean cruise. They don't let me have a "pity party". So yes, under the circumstances I am happy

Overall I would say I am a contented person. Some days are better than others, but I try not to lose sight of the good fortune in my life, and the opportunities I have been given. I try to "pay it forward" when I can, and I still can go gaa gaa over a great sunset, newborn ducklings, a great piece of theatre, or the perfect meal.

We are hanging in there. 6 yrs post and still trying to "embrace" this sci crap. My son is moving forward, he's not moping around, trying to live his life. He's not that happy, but is coping. We still have hope that he and everyone else on CC will walk again.

I'm on cloud nine. A bunch of my dad's co-workers came out to our house today and I played it up for them. I had them rolling. They were so sweet. They even got me something. They gave me a gift card for Best Buy and when I opened it, I joked that they bought me a calling card to phone Mel Gibson. They loved it!

Happy is a relative term. I know things could be worse. Pressure sores have kept me from doing what I think would make me happier. But have found to enjoy what I have and not what could be This is how I get up every morning and do my best every day.
    T6 complete

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I doubt I've ever been as happy post injury as I was pre injury. Some days I find joy in the world; some days are blah, let's get this day over with and go to sleep.

Met up with an old friend on FB from when I was 22 or so, back in California. He reminded me I'd show up on the construction site before anybody else, and when the crew would start draggin' their asses in, I'd yell "Goddamn it's good to be young and alive and living in America! Good mornin', it's gonna be another great day!!"

He reminded me I'd yell that every morning, laughing the whole time, and it all came back to me, those specific memories he resurrected in my mind - and I was glad he told me it made everyone feel good, even the grouchy older guys. My enthusiasm for just being alive was my greatest asset, something I could easily pass on to others - regretfully, that asset and that ability to influence others with my attitude didn't make it through my sci and out the other side.

Luckily I'm rarely really down in the dumps blue as many have posted here. My heart goes out to those who suffer the darker depressions of the soul. I wish you well.
    You sound a lot like Dave. He was always the job site cheerleader making people laugh-asking the grumps if they needed a hug.