Thread: Black spots on my fingernails

Black spots on my fingernails

Anyone know what they could be? Sorry the pictures aren't the best. Theres two, 1 on my left middle finger,and 1 on the right middle finger.

Thanks

Looks like you just bruised your finger. It shows up like that when it's below the nail.
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

The odds of bruising both middle fingers at the same time are probably in the 1 in a million range. Have you been involved in some kind of activities that you might have banged them? How long ago did you notice the spots?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    The odds of bruising both middle fingers at the same time are probably in the 1 in a million range. Have you been involved in some kind of activities that you might have banged them? How long ago did you notice the spots?
    Not really. But not being able to feel my fingers and most of my hands, I wouldn't notice if I did do something. The left one about 1-2 weeks. The right 2+ weeks. I webMD it, which is always a good way to give me a scare about any symptom I look up, and one of things that came up was Endocarditis. But I don't have any other symptoms of that.

Hi,
    Usually dark discoloration under fingernails is due to trauma and should go away over time, though the skin beneath nails takes quite a bit longer time to resolve than on regular skin. It can also be attributed to some food deficiencies, so you may want to consider a multivitamin daily to see if this helps. The chances of endocarditis causing this are very low but it is good that you did go through the symptom list to see if it fit. I'd wait a while to see if they change, increase or decrease. You could mention it to your clinician at your next visit.

AAD

could you possibly have caught them in your wheels? just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hi,
    Usually dark discoloration under fingernails is due to trauma and should go away over time, though the skin beneath nails takes quite a bit longer time to resolve than on regular skin. It can also be attributed to some food deficiencies, so you may want to consider a multivitamin daily to see if this helps. The chances of endocarditis causing this are very low but it is good that you did go through the symptom list to see if it fit. I'd wait a while to see if they change, increase or decrease. You could mention it to your clinician at your next visit.

AAD
    I do take a multivitamin everyday. I set up an appointment with my doc for next Monday. It was time for my nearly check up anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleen View Post
    could you possibly have caught them in your wheels? just a thought
    I use a power chair, so probably not

Thanks everyone

i get white an dark spots under mine. usually from some type of trauma.

nice hands actually. you dont really have any moons. mine disappeared the last couple of years.
    I recon you bruised atop your nail there where it is bruised looking.