Thread: Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis (ADEM)

Acute Disseminated Encephamylitis (ADEM)

May have spelled the dreaded disease wrong...Anyways, had it on 5/16/10. Numb from the chest on down, and was unable to move my legs in the beginning. Also, unable to urinate. Two weeks later, in rehab, begin to walk, and get sorts of feelings everywhere, with feeling progressively going down the body (started to feel shots in my stomach half way through, which was a good ouch).

Still unable to urinate on my own and am self-cathing. I have recently recovered all sexual functions and have just started feeling my ab muscles over the last few weeks. Doctors still think I will pee on my own, but I don't feel too great about it.

Thoughts? Feeling is returning going downward, but I just ain't feeling it! Are the reproductive nerves on the same ones as the urination ones?

Hi,
    I was diagnosed with ADEM, too, and I'm a 61 YO female, so it's extremely unusual and had the Drs scratching their heads. I didn't lose all peeing function, but it was certainly not working normally for a while. As I recovered and got stronger, it gradually came back to almost normal. I don't think it's 100%, but it's pretty close.

The fact that you have had steady improvement seems to me to be a good sign. Good luck!