Thread: Curb jumping my new TR

Curb jumping my new TR

Got my new TR a month ago and I'm feeling a freedom and confidence I've never had with chair before. I've taken some leaps of faith and had some help from a friend and have gone on escalators and down stairs. Both were easier than I thought they'd be but boy was I scared. Today I worked on my curb hopping, up and down.

Between advice from a friend and watching youtube videos I got the idea that coming down curbs on a wheelie is the way to do it. I've been working on my curbs for a week and today an hour in, I finally came down on a wheelie. Then I came down on a wheelie and stayed on a wheelie. Then I moved from the two inch curb I was practicing on to the higher ones and finally was making it off the six inchers. I only had a few soft landings, where I got everything just right. I can see the progress though. Yay :-)

My friend who has been helping me said he was surprised I didn't learn these things in rehab. I had to remind him, I don't have an SCI. My chair use came gradually. My insurance began delivering chairs and I had to figure it out on my own.

I can't say enough good things about my TR. The smooth ride on a TI just isn't comparable to any other chair I've had. Finally being fitted correctly and having a chair I love is giving me the confidence to do so much.

Thanks to my friend Paul for helping me. Thanks to all the folks who know and teach the rest of us how you can do practically anything in a chair.

Fabulous! Thanks for sharing, grommet.

I'm about to get my own first chair (I'm using a borrowed Q2 right now.) What other chairs have you had, and why didn't you like them?

Are your feelings because of the TR specifically, or because of TiLite quality?

I'm particularly interested in Colours vs TiLite and Al vs Ti. (I want a rigid chair with adjustable RSH, so TR is not an option for me.)

"fit correctly" Any advice?

Thanks
    Chas

I've had a Top End Pro-T for about ten years. Same dimensions, (16x16) as my Ti TR, but a different seat back angle (from 90 to 92) and two inches less seat dump.

The Top End Pro-T is an excellent chair and for it's day really was IMHO, top end. It was light and very responsive and very strong. Made from aluminum it actually weighs nearly the same as my Ti TR. The TR in fact is heavier but I think this may be because of the aluminum seat pan I have now instead of the fabric I had on the Pro-T.

I can't compare the TR to the Pro-T, the difference is too great. It isn't like going from chair to chair, more like from one experience to a completely different one. The smoothness of the TR is remarkable. It's also so stable I feel a confidence I haven't had using a chair. It seems to eat up all the pot holes and scary curb ramps. In my old chair when I came to the scary stuff, I would tense up and pray I got it right. With the Ti I just keep going, gliding over everything. It's amazing. I'm sorry you won't be able to go with a Ti, now that I have one and have taken it everywhere, I'm wondering why there are other companies at all. Not literally so much, as I can't believe the difference.

Titanium is actually pretty heavy stuff. I have a titanium camber tube and aluminum and when I hold them in either hand the difference is really something.

You mentioned Colours, yeah I looked at them for years, and at the Top End Terminator. I feel like I looked at almost everything though I never got near either Lasher Sport or Marvel. The Marvel looked really cool. Not sure if they are still in business.

You asked about whether whether my feelings about my new TR are based on it or the quality of the chair Ti makes. Well, I am in love with my TR and I wanted it and not the open frame ZR. The quality of my TR though it unlike anything I've seen in a chair before. I have a lot of confidence in what Ti puts out. My Top End was very well made too and I put it through a lot but I think Ti is better. I'd like it if you let me know when you've made your choice and have your new chair. Colours used to be a great company and for all I know still are but it's been a few years since I was in touch with them.

Which company should you go with, what metal, aluminum or titanium? Try one of Ti's chairs. Just do it. See if you can get a demo for a week. I think if you do, you will work to figure your measurements so you won't need the adjustable seat height and can go with a TR or ZR. As far as the material, I would recommend titanium if you do change your needs and can go with Ti. Otherwise, I don't know, maybe there is a smooth aluminum chair out there. I've been on both and you know where I stand.

You asked about getting your measurements right. I worked my ass off on that. I literally spent years learning as much as I could so I'd know what to do. I was measured by an OT and I used a lot of advice from friends and users with lots of experience. There's a lot to know but I'll leave you with one idea, the standard measurements for a person with such and such height, weight etc. should not be taken as hard and fast rules. Most of my friends are on seats that are at least an inch shorter than is recommended. One crazy friend is an inch short and two inches narrower than me and we are identical in height and weight. Works for him, and that's the point, in the end it has to work for you. You may even have to eat a chair with the wrong measurements so you can learn what really works for you.

Good luck and do let me know what happens. :-)

Ditto on the TR --- Totally underrated chair and I think a better overall package than the Z-frames.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will ask to borrow a ZRA to determine seat height and then get TR. Of course that's if VA will approve a TiLite for me - we'll see.

As far as keeping you informed . . . I'm so excited about getting my own first chair, I can't imagine not posting here about it when it happens. I've received so many great tips from so many members

Chas
    Last edited by chasmengr; 07-10-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Wheel View Post
    Ditto on the TR --- Totally underrated chair and I think a better overall package than the Z-frames.
    Explain. Gratz on the newfound freedom.

f
    ight

Personally, I find the TR less obtrusive than the larger tube diameter Z-frames (it feels small) Also, the boxed frame is undeniably more rigid giving you slightly better power to the ground. I ordered mine w/ the reinforced frame since the future of health insurance is murky -- might have to live with this one a long time. In short, no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by 5th Wheel View Post
    Personally, I find the TR less obtrusive than the larger tube diameter Z-frames (it feels small) Also, the boxed frame is undeniably more rigid giving you slightly better power to the ground. I ordered mine w/ the reinforced frame since the future of health insurance is murky -- might have to live with this one a long time. In short, no regrets.
    I don't like the thicker tubes on the ZR either, also I did want the more rigid frame and better performance with the TR. One thing I will say for the open frame ZR is loading it into a car is easier. The raised lower frame member on the TR definitely helps, but being totally open like in the ZR helps in getting around seats and sliding van doors.

BTW you're killing me with the reinforced frame - didn't know I could get that,damn. How much weight does it add? Is it just the heavier weight package? My only concern with my TR is the camber tube. Ti camber tubes do break and it seems to me it's in the area of the camber plug that sits in the tube ends. In my fantasy I'd like to have a chair I know won't break before I do. Though my friend tells me that since I have a Ti now, I never have to worry. He's had his all over the world, in many third world countries and has come down off everything you can imagine, with no damage to the chair. That inspires me but his tube is attached using the very old and original Ti mounting system.

You know last night I actually dreamt about riding down curbs. :-)

The reinforced package is just welded bushings in lieu drilled holes in the upper tube for the seat back brackets. That's the only thing I can see. It cost $275 if my memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by grommet View Post
    I only had a few soft landings, where I got everything just right.
    If you land on one wheel slightly before the other it will give you a softer landing, especially from higher curbs. That way the entire weight of your body isn't landing all at once in a big *THUNK.

Try it small first.