Thread: Fitness Fact or Fiction?

Fitness Fact or Fiction?

Fitness Fact or Fiction?

1. FACT/FICTON: Cardio burns more calories than strength training.

Fiction.

Contrary to long-held belief, strength training is—as new studies have shown—superior to steady-state cardio in caloric burn. In one University of Southern Maine study, participants blasted as many calories doing 30 minutes of weight training as they did running at a six-minute-per-mile pace for the same amount of time. Unless you're Lolo Jones, strength is your best bet.

The other huge benefit of weight training? It boosts your metabolism after your workout—and builds muscle that will further increase your fat-burning potential in the long run. "If you do steady-state cardio, when you leave the gym, that's it for your calorie burn," says David Jack, general manager of Competitive Athlete Training Zone in Acton, Massachusetts. "But when you do strength work, you'll continue to burn calories for up to 36 hours."

Cardio vs. Strength training face-off. Which really burns more calories?

2. You can reduce cellulite through exercise.

Fact.

Cottage-cheese thighs can affect even the fittest athletes, and though exercise can't prevent cellulite, it can help reduce the appearance of those tell-tale dimples. Cellulite is fat, so calorie-blasting activities and the right nutrition can make your skin look smoother. Likewise, weight gain can make cellulite worse.

"Women lose about five pounds of muscle per decade, and they lose most of it where they don't use their muscles: where they sit. When they lose that muscle in their hips and thighs, the overlying layer of fat doesn't have much of a foundation, so it starts to get pockmarked," explains Wayne Westcott, Ph.D., author of No More Cellulite. "Strength training can play a major role to tone that muscle and get the firm foundation back."

Westcott recommends moves that target your hips, quads, and hamstrings, but says not to ignore your other muscles. "Since all strength exercises boost your metabolic rate, they'll decrease fat too," he says.

3. Crunches are one of the best moves to target your abs.

Fiction.

You probably know crunches are old-school, but you may not know....
    More
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

that, makes me tired just from reading about exercising, think i'll have a greasy burger and chili dog
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    that, makes me tired just from reading about exercising, think i'll have a greasy burger and chili dog
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

That is interesting. But it seems that it is so effort dependent, I wonder how you can really compare? My theory is to do both, ... some is good, more is better , and too much is just right.....

Like Arndog, I do both cardio and weight training. It really makes a difference in being stronger and in appearance, too. I'm dropping the weight I've needed to lose and getting healthier (although I have a nasty respiratory thing right now.)

Good post. Thanks Bobby!

im taking a kin course and

weight training (anaerobic) and cardio (aerobic) will target different energy and muscle systems.

Running for 60 minutes straight is not as efficient as running at a higher intensity for 30. 20 min break and then another 30 min run

interval training is optimal. then comes nutrition..

our culture has led us to eat a lot of refined sugar and simple carbs.. all this will raise insulin levels..

blablabla .. won't bore you anymore.. if you want to lose weight, expend more calories than your intake. SIMPLE
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d