Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Returning to school- Any pointers?

Returning to school- Any pointers?

So I'm headed back to school (this coming August 23rd) formally for the first time since my injury almost a year and a half ago. I'm pretty excited to be around life again, but of course, a little apprehensive in general. I'm taking 6 classes that spread Monday-Thursday, which seems like a heavy but tolerable load. Anyone have any pointers, tips, or ideas on what I should expect as a quad. student?? mmm boy.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

First things first, REGISTER WITH DISABLED STUDENT SERVICES!! They will be able to do a lot of things for you to assist with your education. They can provide a scribe if necessary to take notes for you, to write out answers on tests, etc. They can also set up extended test time, allow you to take your tests in a quiet area, etc. I always request to use a tape recorder during class so that if I miss something or don't get it written down in time I can go back and listen to the lecture again.
    The other thing is call up the California Department of Rehabilitation and schedule an evaluation. The DoR will pay for you to go back to school and cover expenses such as books that you need. They help people with disabilities get back into the work force and will pay for education or training required to go back to work.
    If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask. Although not a quad I have been in college for a couple years since my injury.
    Mandy
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

How do you think you'll cope with concentration?

You're returning to college, so I think that will be easier than high school. I returned to my third year of high school a year after being injured and eventually I quit. I failed almost everything (even the Art teacher didn't give me sympathy points, though, not being able to draw a stick figure should have told me it wasn't for me). I was also a raging maniac.

Being consumed by your injury mentally can mess with one's ability to concentrate. Of course, doctors will tell you there are drugs to help with that and there are.

6 classes is a heavy load. It's doable, just stay on top of things, do things a little bit each day. Cramming is stress that you don't need, although it always seems to come to that for me.

Go to the college prior to classes, scope the daily roll out. It's petty awful to realize you can't reach a class while everyone is shuffling about and you are late to the class. Contacting disability services prior to the start is a good idea. Make sure you note where all the accessible bathrooms are.

Parking, get that worked out. Need a student pass? Check where the handicapped VIP spots are, and arrive early. If it's anything like my college, parking is crazy.

Maybe try to arrange to have a textbook in class and at home, lugging those things around can be killer.

Make some friends. Enjoy.

f
    ight

Thanks Mandy! I gave the Dept. of Rehab a call probably a week ago. I'm hoping they can help me with driver's training expenses. I had to leave a message, but got no call back so I'll have to try again.

Fran├žais, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem with concentration (at least I hope not) just because I'm returning FAIRLY close to my last school attendance. However, I am worried about fatiguing which could end up leading to concentration problems. Working will also definitely not be as easy because of my hands. Even now, typing one key at a time is a minimal workout (I don't like to ALWAYS speak out loud with the software). I'm gonna give it a go, work my hardest, and hope for the best.
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks for the tips Donz! Very helpful actually. I will do and keep all in mind.

I have no advice but wish you well....I do not see why you would not be able to do well...especially with all the good advice from those that have gone before you...

6 classes? WOW!

Plenty of advice, so good luck.

You're brave for taking 6! Don't overdo it. I'm not sure if you do your own care, but for me trying to go to school full-time, take care of myself, and my home was too much. You will figure out soon what you can physically keep up with.

Call Voc Rehab every day. It may take more than a mnth to get a plan set up and be approved for help so you want to get that done before fall term...definitely before spring. Have you applied for federal financial aid through FAFSA?
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thanks dj and Buck ) I'll update with how it's working out.

November, I'm sure I could find out about Vocational Rehab, but just out of curiosity, what do they do exactly? And yes, I'm getting help through FAFSA for the finances