Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: HELP~ raw skin...

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, as above aloe vesta comes in many forms.
    great to know, AAD, thanks a lot!
    since i was cleaned with aloe vesta in the hospital, we have been using it here at home, too, but i though it was just the foam peri care.

lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Y/w Lola I'm glad you have ma & her family. They're really good to you.

Do you not have a Home Health Care Co. taking care of you?

A&D Ointment has worked well for three of my family members who had the same type issues you are having. As long as we kept their bottoms covered well in it, they did not have breakdown or rawness. My husband also uses it for when he gets a little raw in the bends of the legs. Recently that happened and the A&D cleared it up in less than three days. You can get the off brand kind at Wal-Mart and it's cheaper and works just as well. Good luck.
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    Y/w Lola I'm glad you have ma & her family. They're really good to you.

Do you not have a Home Health Care Co. taking care of you?
    as i said, mona, i don't know what i would do without ma and the family. i am considered a part of it

the visiting nurses come sometimes to check on me, but i don't have a regular aide. ma and sandra do all my care daily and jay ( sandra's husband ) takes me to doc's appts.

i am very happy here

lola
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" ~ edmund burker

c4-5 quad

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WM View Post
    A&D Ointment has worked well for three of my family members who had the same type issues you are having. As long as we kept their bottoms covered well in it, they did not have breakdown or rawness. My husband also uses it for when he gets a little raw in the bends of the legs. Recently that happened and the A&D cleared it up in less than three days. You can get the off brand kind at Wal-Mart and it's cheaper and works just as well. Good luck.
    thank you so much WM! do you know the brand's name that they sell at wal mart?

lola

c4-5 quad

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_wheelie View Post
    thank you so much WM! do you know the brand's name that they sell at wal mart?

lola
    I'm not at home to look at the tube and can't remember for sure, but I think it is Equate--the standard Wal-Mart off brand. It comes in a white and brown box I think. At our Wal-Mart it is found in the section where bed pads, etc are sold. If you can't find it there, try the baby products section. I also need to mention that if you do try it, I think it is petroleum based so don't get it anywhere near your catheter as I think petroleum products can cause latex to break down. My husband wears a latex indwelling and we are just careful to not let it get near it. So far, no problems.
    "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

It never hurts to try anything but be careful with the creams. In my experience, the AD, Desitin, Miracle cream etc seemed to smother & prevent air which is needed for healing. I mentioned that powder in one of my pm's, it has helped me. However, I guess it just depends on how raw if powder would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lola_wheelie View Post
    as i said, mona, i don't know what i would do without ma and the family. i am considered a part of it

the visiting nurses come sometimes to check on me, but i don't have a regular aide. ma and sandra do all my care daily and jay ( sandra's husband ) takes me to doc's appts.

i am very happy here

lola
    I know Lola I wasn't saying move or replace ma & family.
    I thought maybe it would help having even more care.
    Especially since you have this raw spot.
    Turn you more & clean you up more. kwim?
    Just a suggestion.

If you ask the pharmicist for A&D they will know what you need.
    I hope you are getting some relief Lola, lots of good experience and advice here.
    How are you doing otherwise?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WM View Post
    I'm not at home to look at the tube and can't remember for sure, but I think it is Equate--the standard Wal-Mart off brand. It comes in a white and brown box I think. At our Wal-Mart it is found in the section where bed pads, etc are sold. If you can't find it there, try the baby products section. I also need to mention that if you do try it, I think it is petroleum based so don't get it anywhere near your catheter as I think petroleum products can cause latex to break down. My husband wears a latex indwelling and we are just careful to not let it get near it. So far, no problems.
    thank yo so much WM. i have used equate products ( yes, i do shop at wally world very often ) .

i think i don't need to worry about my catheter, because it is a SP tube, away from the raw skin, and it is silicone

lola

c4-5 quad