Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best tips to avoid traveler's diarrhea?

Joe, taking all that shit will surely give you the runs. I agree with those who said Imodium. It's worked every time for me, bar none.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDecafPlz View Post
    Remedies
    Folk

Acidophilus Take acidophilus with meals whenever you feel sanitation or water supply may be questionable. This will help build up the "friendly" bacteria in your intestines. Either a tablespoon of liquid or one to two capsules should do the trick. One good product is called Culturelle (a probiotic formula).

Apple cider vinegar For a preventive measure start taking a teaspoon of vinegar and a teaspoon of honey in a glass of water half an hour before each meal a few days before your trip. Continue this regimen during your trip.

Bismuth Subsalicylate The active ingredient found in Pepto-Bismol, bismuth subsalicylate, can be taken either after an attack or as a preventive measure. Be careful if you take aspirin regularly as Pepto-Bismol contains salicylates, which added to that in the aspirin may cause symptoms such as ringing in the ears (tinnitus).

Grapefruit seed extract Another good preventive or treatment remedy for traveler's diarrhea is grapefruit seed extract. This extract is a powerful all-around antimicrobial product and is an excellent disinfectant. This extract is very bitter, so use tablets or capsules (take 3 capsules daily) instead of the liquid. If you do use the liquid, use five drops in a glass of water. Another helpful product to carry with you is activated charcoal which is explained in more detail below.

Lemon juice Drinking the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon in a large glass of water three to five times a day will kill off the pathogens causing the diarrhea. For prevention in case there is a stomach virus going around, take 1-2 tablespoons of juice before meals.

Loperamide hydrochloride For severe cases of diarrhea, Loperamide hydrochloride (the active ingredient of Imodium A-D) can be very helpful.

Powdered cow's milk carries antibodies of the E. coli bacteria that you may take to prevent getting Montezuma's revenge. Check with your health food store.

Wine Red or white wine (6 ounces is enough) contain polyphenols, an antibacterial agent.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

In addition to the simple basics re food and water (and IF/when needed, immodium, peptol)....

Just Stop Stressing.

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    In addition to the simple basics re food and water (and IF/when needed, immodium, peptol)....

Just Stop Stressing.
    Pepto bloats the hell outa ya.

I'm doing the grapefruit seed and the probiotics and the wild Oregano oil....

And the "what to avoid" list.

Stop stressin? Really? lol
    And the truth shall set you free.

Hey Joe,
    Montezuma's revenge was a personal jab!

I second Chick's statement. I've traveled extensively, including places like India and Mexico, and have never had a problem. Just be smart. Boil your water. Eat home cooked meals, or if you can find a place with a kitchenette and cook your own meals, even better! As much fun (and cheap) as it is to eat at roadside or food stands, I'd avoid those places, as they are notorious for causing illnesses.

Generic Imodium is lopermide hydrochloride btw, works just as well as the brand name and costs much less.

Vicodines worked when I went to china. Now I take them before flights. Helps with gas too. On the way to Vancouver I'm sure someone was annoyed. On the way back I was coo.

Call me to let me know how it went. Stories. I want many!

We're going to Curacao so there WILL be stories!!!!

And the truth shall set you free.

I had it when I went to Jamaica... It sucked and I used Pepto and I was soo gassy

Joe,
    I finally decided to dive in that bottle of Montezuma that you left. I'll let you if I survive.