Thread: Pre-Surgery Diet for Better Bowel Prep?

Pre-Surgery Diet for Better Bowel Prep?

I'm scheduled for surgery on Wednesday (7/14) that requires an empty bowel. In the past, I have had poor results cleansing my bowel with Go-Lytely and similar products. Last time (for a colonoscopy), it took two days of fasting and drinking a gallon of yuck on two consecutive days. That's in combination with going to a diet of clear broth and Jell-O for two days before the prep began. With all that, I never did pass entirely clear liquid.

I'm insisting that the prep be done in hospital this time (Tuesday). This raises my costs, but I hope it will be money well spent. My surgeon says "no worries" about getting the bowel empty, but it's still a concern.

The question: What foods transit the body most quickly? Extra points for good taste. I thought to start the diet Sunday. Does that seem like enough time?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

i know i read somewhere else of someone getting colonics done at a healthspa to clear the colon. it seems like a worthwhile investment
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Prepping for two different colonoscopies, I started juice fasting the week before. I slowly eliminated meals and switched to vegetable juices, broth, and lots and lots of water. I find fasting is easy after day three.

Do you know what the hospital is going to prep you with? Usually limiting intake to clear liquids is the best course. It typically takes 2-4 days for food to normally work its way through the digestive tract. Emptying can be speeded up with laxatives, e.g., Dulcolax tablets. One of the reasons go lytely or colonics are preferred is that the liquid washes debis/particles out that might obstruct the view.

Look at it this way - with a couple days of fasting, you can probably shed a pound or two. Most people have some weight they would like to get rid of.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

A day or two prior to your admission, I would start eliminating things like red meat, rich foods and things that for you are hard to digest. (We all have those things that make us sick). Increase your fluids and start switching to jello (not red) and broths to replace the food that you would normally eat.

I would guess that doing the prep in the hospital may help. But remember, you are probably the best judge on whether or not you are empty.

Good luck!

CKF

"With all that, I never did pass entirely clear liquid."

The liquid will not be clear like water. There will be some residual yellow/brownish color to the liquid you pass. You shouldn't have any solids, although the liquid will still have some small debris in it.

Good luck with with this surgery and the prep. Of everything I have done or had done to me, I think the bowel prep is the most difficult thing to do.

The best,
    GJ

CG - Read about that. Sounds interesting. I'll be selecting from whatever is available in hospital.

VQ - switching to liquids tomorrow, (Sunday).

55 - Don't know what they plan to use. I'm guessing Go-Lytly. Will be asking for options. (see above). So, you think I'm fat? I was considering asking doc to leave out the lard when he puts my guts back in, but reconsidered. Might leave out something vital by mistake.

CKF - I can pretty much eat anything with no ill effect. Comes from a childhood of eating whatever was available. 10-4 on the diet. Not sure I am the best judge of being empty. Felt pretty wrung out before the colonoscopy fail.

gjnl - Evidently enough solids were present to stop the first colonoscopy attempt and enough still remained on the second day to make things difficult. Yes, bowel prep is high on the list of the worst things in life. I have been told that a similar procedure has been used as torture (seriously). Even so, bowel prep really doesn't rank up there with my experience recovering from the untethering operation. And no medical procedure comes close to being as difficult as some of the other things encountered along the way.

Again, thank you all for your advice and well wishes, Greatly appreciated.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg