Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: birth control methods to help with heavy bleeding

  1. #1
    Senior Member jessie.gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    784

    birth control methods to help with heavy bleeding

    Hi. I have been on the minipill for heavy bleeding for about 5 months now. It helped until recently, and now I am starting have a period every other week again that's heavy. When I went back to the gyno about it, she suggested I get the Mirena IUD put in, because it was recently approved for heavy bleeding.

    Does anyone else use the Mirena birth control device, and does it help with heavy bleeding? I have also heard that the NuvaRing and Yaz birth control pills help with this too. My gyno told me that both of these increase the risk of blood clots in people prone to them, but the only time I have ever had a bad blood clot was after my colon surgery when I was literally immobile for weeks, because I could only lay on my left side due to a drain tube in my backside. Would this make me "more prone to clots" if I were to go on Yaz or the NuvaRing?

    Jessie

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,878
    Mirena is awesome imo! That other stuff carries to big of a blood clot risk & the NuvaRing is known for falling out. It's been a year for me, now PMS is better & NO period.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray View Post
    Hi. I have been on the minipill for heavy bleeding for about 5 months now. It helped until recently, and now I am starting have a period every other week again that's heavy. When I went back to the gyno about it, she suggested I get the Mirena IUD put in, because it was recently approved for heavy bleeding.

    Does anyone else use the Mirena birth control device, and does it help with heavy bleeding? I have also heard that the NuvaRing and Yaz birth control pills help with this too. My gyno told me that both of these increase the risk of blood clots in people prone to them, but the only time I have ever had a bad blood clot was after my colon surgery when I was literally immobile for weeks, because I could only lay on my left side due to a drain tube in my backside. Would this make me "more prone to clots" if I were to go on Yaz or the NuvaRing?

    Jessie

    You had the Mirena IUD, according to a post from almost exactly a year ago. Unsure as to why you are asking about something as though it is new when you have already used and had experience with it.

  4. #4
    07-26-2009, 01:05 AM #14 jessie.gray
    Senior Member



    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Washington State
    Posts: 779


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anban
    I love my IUD (I have the Mirena), but I think you need to have had a child before one can be inserted, because the cervix has to have been stretched...?

    I had a Mirena IUD in 2 years ago, but it fell out after 2 weeks, so I never got another one put back in. I have never had a baby, but my gyno told me that she's put them in several developmentally disabled women who have never had children, and has not had any problems. It did hurt badly to get one put in me, but the pain lasts for only a couple minutes as the device is being put in your uterus.

    Jessie


    07-26-2009, 01:14 AM #15 jessie.gray
    Senior Member



    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Washington State
    Posts: 779


    Quote:
    Originally Posted by medic1
    hey jessie, I just found out I have an Ovarian Cyst. Was looking for some information on what to expect? symptoms? problems? treatments? would appreciate any information.

    Look on WebMd on ovarian cysts, and you'll get a lot of information on the different types of them. Most of them don't cause any problems and eventually go away on their own. There are a couple, like mine, who decide to stick around and gradually get larger. My doctor thinks I might have an endometrial ovarian cyst, because of how heavy my periods have been ever since the cyst started to grow larger. My caregivers compare my flow to to someone who'd just had a baby.
    As far as other symptoms, I get a bit of cramping twinge-like pain 2 weeks before my period in the area where the cyst is, but that doesn't bug me one bit. If the cyst were to twist or rupture, I've read that it hurts badly, but I haven't had this happen to me so far.
    My doctor put me on the Pill to see if it would slow my periods down and shrink the cyst, but she said that if it didn't do anything, she'd remove the cyst laprascopically.

    You might want to also read the book "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdon" by. Christiane Northrup. This book also has information on ovarian cysts and some natural ways to reduce or eliminate them among other good advice.

    Jessie



    Does any of this sound familiar? Red text added to highlight sentences related to this thread.

  5. #5
    And again. You can answer your own question on this issue.


    08-19-2008, 01:16 AM #6 jessie.gray
    Senior Member



    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Washington State
    Posts: 779


    My gyno told me when I had to use BC to get rid of severe menstrual cramps that birth control pills were out, because of the risk of blood clots. She also said that the NuvaRing sometimes won't stay in place easily in women with SCI, due to muscle paralysis and weakness. So, I started getting that Depo-Provera shot and liked it at first, but after 2 years, I got really tired of the side effects (really bad headaches, weight gain, hot flashes/night sweats, and bad body acne).
    So, recently the gyno recommended the Mirena IUD, because she said that it lasts 5 years and had a much less blood clot risk unlike the pill. You might want to look into that. I had one in last year, but a doctor in the ER removed it by accident, thinking that it was causing my severe stomach pains I was getting at the time (it turns out, I had a bad intestinal infection). Whenever I get back to the gyno, I plan on having another IUD put back in, because it stoped my periods to where I didn't get cramps. You can get one of these put in if you have never had a baby, it just smarts to get it put in. If you get AD, be prepared to bring something to stop the symptoms if your's are triggered by pain.

    Jessie

    jessie.gray

  6. #6
    More of your personal experience with birth control.

    10-05-2007, 02:37 PM #5 jessie.gray
    Senior Member



    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Washington State
    Posts: 779


    Never heard of that one. The only 3 BC products I have been on since high school are Depo-Provera (which I absolutely hated!), the NuvaRing (which I had trouble keeping inside of me), and the Mirena IUD (which fell out a month after it was inserted).

    All I know is that the worst of all 3 of them was the Depo-Provera shot. I gained a lot of weight, even though I was eating healthy and exercising. I got really bad fatigue and headaches. I bled constantly for a good year, which made me anemic. Plus, I started to produce breastmilk, even though I had never had a kid at the time. The only plus of it was that I didn't get the severe cramps anymore (that's why I was put on it, was for menstrual cramps). After 3 years of being on that, I stoped getting the shots. The NuvaRing wasn't too bad, but because my muscles were so weakened in my vagina, I had a lot of trouble getting the thing to stay in me (I have the same trouble with tampons or menstrual cups). Its worthless if it doesn't stay in you to do its job LOL!.
    The Mirena IUD was okay, until about 3 weeks after I had it inserted. I got really severe cramps one night, and when I went to use the bathroom, I felt something funny in my vagina, and out came the IUD. I am not sure why it didn't stay in, but I later read online that it can fall out with no real explination.

    Right now, the only birth control method I use is Fertility Awareness (the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility talks about this). This is where you take your basal temperature every morning, check your cervical fluid off and on throughout the day to check for fertile mucus (eggwhite mucus), and check the position of your cervix once a day. Plus, on your fertile days, your partner wears a condom. Both me and Josh really like this birth control method, because it hormone free and doesn't case any bad side effects like blood clots and stuff.

    Jessie

  7. #7
    Senior Member jessie.gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    You had the Mirena IUD, according to a post from almost exactly a year ago. Unsure as to why you are asking about something as though it is new when you have already used and had experience with it.
    I know i have used Mirena for 2 weeks, before it fell out a couple years back as well as the NuvaRing, but all I was asking was if anyone on here has used them for heavy bleeding?

    I don't want to use them for birth control, just very heavy bleeding that is prolonged, because I don't like the side effects I am getting from the minipill I am on right now.
    I'm sorry if you keep getting mad at me, I am just asking a question. I don't know why you are constantly ganging up on me on this site. I have a lot of trouble remembering if I have asked someone something before, because of damage to my frontal lobes from a seizure that didn't stop back in 2002. That's why I sometimes ask stuff twice, is because I can't remember if I have asked it before. Again, please don't start harassing me again, just for asking a question.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jessie.gray View Post
    I know i have used Mirena for 2 weeks, before it fell out a couple years back as well as the NuvaRing, but all I was asking was if anyone on here has used them for heavy bleeding?

    I don't want to use them for birth control, just very heavy bleeding that is prolonged, because I don't like the side effects I am getting from the minipill I am on right now.
    I'm sorry if you keep getting mad at me, I am just asking a question. I don't know why you are constantly ganging up on me on this site.
    You apparently used the Mirena twice. You wrote that once it fell out and another time a doctor removed it in the e.r. because you were in pain. As you wrote, the pain turned out to be stomach distress, not the IUD.

    You've been on pills and apparently these reduced your bleeding, according to what you wrote years ago. You've even recommended, some time ago according to your posts, what you have used to other women.

    No one is ganging up on you. I don't have it in for you. You're asking questions about items you say you are unfamiliar with, but if you look at your posts from the last three or so years, these say otherwise.

    Asking questions and getting answers is great, but from your previous posts, you can answer your own questions because you have a body of reference in the form of your own personal experience with Mirena, the pill and NuvaRing.

    If you cannot remember you have used the Mirena, NuvaRing and the pill at various times from high school on, please, please, please have someone with you in and at all doctor appointments and exams.

    I am not unfamiliar with brain damage.

    It seems you can keep straight where to find info when you want. You were able to keep up with the non-existent children well. You also have made and still make (according to a Fb post of yours in the very recent past) suggestions to women about various items for breast-feeding from your personal experience, according to what you wrote.

    If, indeed, your brain damage is so severe you cannot keep up with what you have used to control mentstrual bleeding, your previous posts here at CC have the info you seek, as well as some of your medical history. Maybe it will help you.

    BTW, how are your college classes going? Full-time status is quite a load for anyone to carry. If you are dealing with brain damage as severe as you have described, stress can exacerbate memory difficulties for many. It could make things harder for you. Just something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by LaMemChose; 07-08-2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: wrote more.

  9. #9
    Senior Member jessie.gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    You apparently used the Mirena twice. You wrote that once it fell out and another time a doctor removed it in the e.r. because you were in pain. As you wrote, the pain turned out to be stomach distress, not the IUD.

    You've been on pills and apparently these reduced your bleeding, according to what you wrote years ago. You've even recommended, some time ago according to your posts, what you have used to other women.

    No one is ganging up on you. I don't have it in for you. You're asking questions about items you say you are unfamiliar with, but if you look at your posts from the last three or so years, these say otherwise.

    Asking questions and getting answers is great, but from your previous posts, you can answer your own questions because you have a body of reference in the form of your own personal experience with Mirena, the pill and NuvaRing.

    That's all.
    Thank you for being polite in yoru reply. It was greatly appreciated.

    When the ER removed the IUD I did have due to severe stomach pain, they told me that it was about to fall out anyway, because of how low it was in my cervix and vagina, but the IUD wasn't what was making my stomach hurt so badly, like you mentioned. I definetly don't remember saying that I had two of them.
    I have only had 1 IUD before, not twice. I was gonna go back in to have another one put back in, but didn't. When I tried the NuvaRing, it didn't stay in well. Other than this, I do remeber this: I have only been on two different birth control pills, the combo pill and the minipill, and those were as of last year for the heavy bleeding.
    The only trouble is now the side effects are getting to be too irritating, and it seems like the minipill is not working like its supposed to, like I wrote saying that I have been getting a period every other week now, instead of once a month.

    Now, do you know anything about that Yaz pill? I had read online that it can be used for heavy bleeding, but I was wondering if anyone on here has used it? I don't want to get another IUD, due to how painful they are to put in, but I might have no choice if I want this bleeding to stop. I don't want to get so anemic from the bleeding that I have to have iron IV's again, like late last year.

  10. #10
    Senior Member jessie.gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    You apparently used the Mirena twice. You wrote that once it fell out and another time a doctor removed it in the e.r. because you were in pain. As you wrote, the pain turned out to be stomach distress, not the IUD.

    You've been on pills and apparently these reduced your bleeding, according to what you wrote years ago. You've even recommended, some time ago according to your posts, what you have used to other women.

    No one is ganging up on you. I don't have it in for you. You're asking questions about items you say you are unfamiliar with, but if you look at your posts from the last three or so years, these say otherwise.

    Asking questions and getting answers is great, but from your previous posts, you can answer your own questions because you have a body of reference in the form of your own personal experience with Mirena, the pill and NuvaRing.

    If you cannot remember you have used the Mirena, NuvaRing and the pill at various times from high school on, please, please, please have someone with you in and at all doctor appointments and exams.

    I am not unfamiliar with brain damage.

    It seems you can keep straight where to find info when you want. You were able to keep up with the non-existent children well. You also have made and still make (according to a Fb post of yours in the very recent past) suggestions to women about various items for breast-feeding from your personal experience, according to what you wrote.

    If, indeed, your brain damage is so severe you cannot keep up with what you have used to control mentstrual bleeding, your previous posts here at CC have the info you seek, as well as some of your medical history. Maybe it will help you.

    BTW, how are your college classes going? Full-time status is quite a load for anyone to carry. If you are dealing with brain damage as severe as you have described, stress can exacerbate memory difficulties for many. It could make things harder for you. Just something to keep in mind.
    I mainly have trouble with long-term memory, not short term. Its got a lot better over the years, but it will never get to 100%. My mom, who has also had status epilepticus happen to her before, has the same problem. I don't have super severe memory problems, but I do write stuff down a lot to remember items, because otherwise, I will forget.

    Now, like i said before, when I was on Reglan, I leaked breastmilk a lot, because that med increases your prolactin level. I told someone on Fb about what I used when I had that problem. I will repeat, I DO NOT obsess about nursing! I don't even have to use anything like that anymore, since my GI doctor took me off of Reglan, due to me starting to develop involuntary movements in my arms and face, which if allowed to continue, can become permanent (that's what those TV lawsuit ads are all about for that med). I don't even take Domperidone anymore, because it caused the same milk production side effect (apparently, the drugs that help your stomach contract if you have gastroparesis have this annoying side effect, according to my doctor).

    I'll have to PM you on the college stuff, to not take up a lot of unnecessary room on here.

Similar Threads

  1. Birth Control
    By Emi2 in forum Care
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-09-2005, 11:07 AM
  2. Methods to augment bladder Control?
    By drnader in forum Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-10-2005, 01:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •