Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best freind just got shot (robbery) lower back L2 please help

Every injury is very individual. It is impossible to say at this point how much return, if any he would get. It will be at least 2 years before his return will be maximized.

Close to him in NC is the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, one of the best SCI rehabilitation centers in the world, and a Model Systems SCI Center. They have both excellent inpatient and outpatient programs. I would recommend looking into getting him moved there if at all possible.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Every injury is very individual. It is impossible to say at this point how much return, if any he would get. It will be at least 2 years before his return will be maximized.

Close to him in NC is the Shepherd Center in Atlanta, one of the best SCI rehabilitation centers in the world, and a Model Systems SCI Center. They have both excellent inpatient and outpatient programs. I would recommend looking into getting him moved there if at all possible.

(KLD)

Totally agree!
    A good rehab center is very important.
    Shepherd is very good.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Bless your heart for being a good friend. I can't add anything besides that.

I too was paralyzed due to a gunshot. My injury is a little bit higher than your friends(t11). In my case the bullet hit me and traveled upwards landing in my chest cavity, near my heart. The doctors didnt remove the bullet in my case either. It is still very early in your friends case. He is probably experiencing spinal shock. The spinal cord is swollen. When the swelling goes down he may get more feeling and/or movement of limbs back. As mentioned in a previous post Shepards in Atlanta is a very good rehab center. He should definitely look into going there for rehab. My situation is very similar to his. My cord was almost severed as well with very little of the cord remaining. Feel free to ask me any questions. Take care.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I was shot in the chest in 2007. I'm a t-6 asia b incomplete. I did my rehab in San Jose Ca. My experience there was ok. At the time i was completely lost did not how to react to this life style. However, I'm a strong individual who is optimistic. And i was able to overcome many obstacles. Like bladder, bowel, transfers movements. At first i taught i will never master this. Through out the year you do it every day and have to find a way to adapt. When I was in the hospital. I did not have any sensation below my chest. In December it's going to be three years. And i know have full sensation below my level of injury. I can feel the cold water. In my perspective I think I progressing day to day. I try to wiggle my toes, but signal is not kicking yet. I really hope this helps you a little.

My injury level is T-7-8 (incomplete) and like your friend I suffered gun shot wounds (2) in my back.

Fellow members of this forum have offered some pretty solid advice.
    If in the event you would like to direct any questions to me, based on the similarity of cause of injury, please feel free to in box me.

hey guys ,
    things are looking better..however his legs are really swollen..im talking about grossly... they have the socks and im telling him to raise his feet when he sleeps..however is this normal?

Quote Originally Posted by newhorizons View Post
    hey guys ,
    however his legs are really swollen..im talking about grossly... they have the socks and im telling him to raise his feet when he sleeps..however is this normal?
    unfortunately, yes.

If it's more swollen in one particular area they should definitely be monitoring for blood clots.

Horizons, no giving up. Ever. For either of you. Best of luck to you and your friend.

- K
    C5 Burst Fracture - Motorcycle - June 21st, 2009 - Father's Day.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=124135