Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You Tube Video of a guy flipping his FRH-1

You Tube Video of a guy flipping his FRH-1

This somewhat unnerving clip shows a guy performing a low speed turn and yet he flips his FRH-1! I'm wondering if anyone can analyze this and tell me how it could've happened. This doesn't look like a very stable bike in this video, but there could be extenuating circumstances I'm not seeing. See what you think; it's at the end of the clip, not the beginning where he simply runs into the curb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMTRnGZSUMM

Looks like part of the frame underneath him busted, but it's hard to tell.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

The bike looks like a F/R Classic not the FRH. Easy, he was leaning with his whole body rather than just dropping the shoulder on the turns and his turn was too tight. His legs holders are also a little short. It did look like the frame gave way to me also but once it was back upright it looked fine. Mine came apart because I forgot to put the pin in the frame, was rather embarrassing sitting in the middle of my driveway between the two parts of the bike.

It's a good lesson for him to learn at slow speeds. I'm sure as his lats and abs got stronger, his form greatly improved. It's part of the learning curve lol.

It's a good reminder to always wear a helmut as you can flip the bike even at slow turns.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-03-2010 at 08:15 PM.

ab's, beware...
    Living the Dream, C6/C7 incomplete.

Yeah, I have a bike just like that and something definitely let go when he torqued on it. That's not normal.

I have flipped mine on occasion. Most were when I was going too fast around an off-camber turn. Good thing I can't feel the skin on my elbows!

Pat

I'm at a loss to figure out what happened there. I put it in slow mo frame by frame and ya, its like the bike buckled under him. He was gong in a straight line.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

That right rear was coming off the ground after he completed the turn. With his center of gravity being so high, the rear of the bike slowly tilted until the front wheel basically turned under the weight. He for some reason couldn't tell the rear wheel was lifting. Looks like the design of the bike allowed the front wheel to remain inline while the rear twisted until fully banked. I wouldn't expect crashes to be rare with that design.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    That right rear was coming off the ground after he completed the turn. With his center of gravity being so high, the rear of the bike slowly tilted until the front wheel basically turned under the weight. He for some reason couldn't tell the rear wheel was lifting. Looks like the design of the bike allowed the front wheel to remain inline while the rear twisted until fully banked. I wouldn't expect crashes to be rare with that design.
    I dunno, I had that same design handcycle for like 7,000 miles and never had anything like that happen before. I only crashed it once in all those 8 years I had the handcycle and that was because I ran the right rear wheel off the edge of the pavement of the bike path and was rolling and tumbling before I knew it.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    It's not an FRH-1!

It's a Freedom Ryder Superbike Twistshift.

Mine was actually a Stage 1 handcycle but very similiar in design to the older superbikes.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred