Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just started walker and AFO's

Just started walker and AFO's

Well I'm about 4 1/2 years post and up to about 300ft on a walker and AFO's.

It's all happened really fast from KAFO'S to AFO's in about 3 months.

Now besides getting up and walking what are other good exercises for knee strength and lower limb mobility?

I can't really move my legs while sitting, but can during standing, doesn't make sense to me but I guess that's how it goes.

i'm c6 incomplete [close as i can get to being complete without being complete according to my doc.]
    Injury Date : Feb. 23rd 2006, c6 Incomplete.

Great progress!!! I would recommend swimming if you can to strengthen your legs. Swimming has helped me recover some movement in my legs. It's not a lot of movement, but I'll take whatever I can get.

great job!! i say swimming also!!
    I have more to claim.
    I have to fight through the hard places
    to go and get it!

most recent video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLEinnhYtg

wow... couldnt you walk before.. after 4 years its amazing... where do you do your PT. How have your legmovement been through the 4 years?? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdog View Post
    Well I'm about 4 1/2 years post and up to about 300ft on a walker and AFO's.

It's all happened really fast from KAFO'S to AFO's in about 3 months.

Now besides getting up and walking what are other good exercises for knee strength and lower limb mobility?

I can't really move my legs while sitting, but can during standing, doesn't make sense to me but I guess that's how it goes.

i'm c6 incomplete [close as i can get to being complete without being complete according to my doc.]
    Congratulations on your break through!!!

For knee strength I would recommend leg lifts while your sitting. This strengthen the quadriceps which supports the knee. Stationary bike riding is good for your lower extremities and muscle memory (reciprocal motion)

As a T7-8, I also graduated from the wheel chair to a walker and from using KAFO's to AFO's . Good Luck!

cdog and kelrod, can you please elaborate on your progress. when did you first get out of the chair and into a walker? what made you do it? did you have any function below injury at that time?

Great job!
    We found that a stationary recumbent exercise bike (we have one from Sears that was inexpensive) was the best thing for improving leg strength. When we first started, my son could hardly move the pedals, now he can go for miles. It's a long process, hang in there.
    Swimming is good too. He would us various floatation devices to help him walk in the pool. At first he needed ankle weights to keep his feet on the bottom and not float.
    The bike was the biggest help.
    Practice, practice practice too with the walking.
    My son went from KAFOs and a walker, to AFOs and a walker, then AFOs and crutches. Just keep trying.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    cdog and kelrod, can you please elaborate on your progress. when did you first get out of the chair and into a walker? what made you do it? did you have any function below injury at that time?
    I am a T7-8 incomplete, 4 years post injury. The day after being moved from intensive care, the doctors insisted I begin inpatient therapy. I had no movement or feeling below my waist.

After 2 weeks or so, I was able stand in the parallel bars with some assistance. After 2 months of outpatient therapy, I received approval for KAFO's and a walker.

After 1.5 years of intensive out patient therapy, I walk with a cane and a e-stim device known as the Bioness L-300 for foot drop.

I have been self motivated and determined to get back as much function as possible and continue therapy today.

With out God's blessings, I would not have made this far.

cdog, I'm at about the same stage as you - walker with one afo. My physio has me doing:
    - lots of quarter squats (free-standing and deeper/lower against wall),
    - quad extensions (with and without e-stim),
    - sitting sideways on a bench and lifting my knees in the air - to target hip-flexors
    - ugh, a million sit-to-stands, stand-to-sits
    - marching on the spot (free-standing)
    - standing still keeping my balance while he pushes me in every direction
    - side to side trunk twists while free-standing

Try to do as much as you can balancing on your own with the walker there just in case.