Thread: diagnoses

diagnoses

just a thought.

when you have a problem and then is diagnosed, does it psychologically make it worse?

like symptoms are stronger and then the problem seems to be bigger than before?

i dont know if i made sense but anyways
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

I think that to a certain extent you are right. I felt much better when I didn't know I had an adrenal tumor. Now everything is causing me to alert to the symptoms. Before I just thought it was menopause or something natural, or AD.

Now that I know it is there I am turning into a hypochondriac and looking up symptoms.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

For me it was easier to have a diagnosis...instead of worrying about every little thing and wondering if I was going to die from it. Now when there is a new symptom, I know it is either related to my disability (due to the research I have done on it) or from something else. It is the something else that will worry me now....but I feel more at ease knowing what else is wreaking havoc in my body.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Arrow

I was travelling arround the USA got on the plane in NY couldn't get off the plane in London, so I came home. The doctor i went to said I needed an mri, the neuro surgeon I saw put everything I was experiencing down to CP and aging and the arthritis in my neck, and did not see the need for an mri. So for 7 years I was living with a crack 4 vertebra down my neck. I was denied adequate services based on the 2 diagnoses I had.

I finally got the mri, when I was pushing for surgery to stabilize the arthritis in the neck. The diagnosis then became one more reason why the surgery was a bad idea. So now the doctors are trying to manage my pain with opiates. I don't know whether the diagnosis was a good or a bad thing, it was however a missing piece of information.

This reminds me of a This American Life episode: Before It Had A Name: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...-It-Had-A-Name

There are studies that say the opposite of what you're suggesting. There was a study (sorry for not being more specific) that showed people did a better job of coping when they knew their situation was permanent, rather than holding out hope that things would go back to "normal".

Part of that seems disappointing to me, and I think that hope would be important, but that's science for you.