Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Clogged SP tube

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Madison,Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,498

    Angry Clogged SP tube

    So, after waiting 2 months, and untold cost due to irrigating at least twice/day and changing catheter at least twice/week, Jim's cysto was today. Only the doctor wouldn't do it. First his little aide took blood pressure and was going to procure a urine sample after clamping his S/P. Because she didn't wash her hands beforehand, I said I'd be glad to do it for her, washed my hands and got the sample. She didn't say anything but had an attitude. When the (new to us) doctor came in he was also brusque and stated that even doctors never wash their hands before a procedure, just after a procedure. He was very defensive, mentioned that he worked at RIC and wrote articles about SCI. His article, by the way has the use of vinegar, not a bleach solution, to cleaning equipment. Then he said the UA showed bacteria so he wouldn't be doing the cysto after all. No treatment except urging Jim to get on an anticholenergic to prevent UTI"s. Jim is c5, complete and totally flaccid.
    Obviously I'm upset. We have managed to keep Jim out of hospitals since initial injury. In the first 8 years he had only 4 UTI's, usually after cysto's. But the last year he has had non-symtematic bug of some kind that fills his catheters with a thick white discharge that occludes the catheter in days, despite irrigating. His nurses say they don't prescribe Renicedin for flush. I am at my wits end.
    So 2 questions:
    !. Has it been shown that anticholenergics decrease the incidence of UTI's?
    2. if SCI with a S/P tube is always colonized, why wouldn't he do the cysto to check for stones?

    With the rampant outbreaks in MARSA and other pathogens in hospitals everyone is warned to make sure that workers wash their dam hands, what they don't say is how you get treated if you do.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,896
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsister View Post
    When the (new to us) doctor came in he was also brusque and stated that even doctors never wash their hands before a procedure, just after a procedure.
    This is unforgivable!

    Based on that and his other statements, I say this guy is a quack.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Madison,Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,498
    But, Scorp, this guy "wrote the book" at RIC, so he says. I'm getting madder by the minute. Essentially I feel this guy wrote us off since there's always colonization and he won't do the cysto because "he's infected", and it is at least 2 months til Jim could even get another date for a cysto and no antibiotics- what is the course of action? I did suggest a ultrasound to look for stones and then I think we will be looking for another Urologist. So, in the end, there's going to be another lenghty wait for services. Jim is "lucky" that he has WC because I can't imagine many could afford the expenditure for supplies-2 catheters, insertion kits, irrigation kits, sodium chloride or the time it takes to keep that in order. The pharmacist at Walgreens has made it clear that they don't like dealing with bottles of sodium chloride, "it's a hassle". I'm sorry, I know I'm venting, I'm just sorely frustrated. we should have moved back to Boulder, Madison has been a bust for SCI issues!! Deb

  4. #4
    Senior Member darty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    1,207
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsister View Post
    So, after waiting 2 months, and untold cost due to irrigating at least twice/day and changing catheter at least twice/week, Jim's cysto was today. Only the doctor wouldn't do it. First his little aide took blood pressure and was going to procure a urine sample after clamping his S/P. Because she didn't wash her hands beforehand, I said I'd be glad to do it for her, washed my hands and got the sample. She didn't say anything but had an attitude. When the (new to us) doctor came in he was also brusque and stated that even doctors never wash their hands before a procedure, just after a procedure. He was very defensive, mentioned that he worked at RIC and wrote articles about SCI. His article, by the way has the use of vinegar, not a bleach solution, to cleaning equipment. Then he said the UA showed bacteria so he wouldn't be doing the cysto after all. No treatment except urging Jim to get on an anticholenergic to prevent UTI"s. Jim is c5, complete and totally flaccid.
    Obviously I'm upset. We have managed to keep Jim out of hospitals since initial injury. In the first 8 years he had only 4 UTI's, usually after cysto's. But the last year he has had non-symtematic bug of some kind that fills his catheters with a thick white discharge that occludes the catheter in days, despite irrigating. His nurses say they don't prescribe Renicedin for flush. I am at my wits end.
    So 2 questions:
    !. Has it been shown that anticholenergics decrease the incidence of UTI's?
    2. if SCI with a S/P tube is always colonized, why wouldn't he do the cysto to check for stones?

    With the rampant outbreaks in MARSA and other pathogens in hospitals everyone is warned to make sure that workers wash their dam hands, what they don't say is how you get treated if you do.
    If your at RIC in Chicago try to see Doctor Daniel Dolton (Double D I call him) if he is still practicing there at Northwestern. he is a great uro doc and placed my sp tube some 20 years ago with no problems ever.
    ^^(A)^^

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    This is unforgivable!

    Based on that and his other statements, I say this guy is a quack.
    quack is right. quite a few of his statements are just "wrong".

    vinegar instead of bleach, no Renicedin for flush, total disregard for handwashing, wtf?

    dr,s and nurses who are so arrogant that their way is the only way and they're higher up on the totem pole than GOD irks me to no end.

    pardon my french but...i don't care how many damn books he's written, HE'S WRONG. just my opinion but i'd fire his ass and make sure he found out why, lol.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Madison,Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,498
    Thank you so much for the response, often I feel very lonely in these issues. Just to update you, I did get an order for an ultrasound and afterwards took Jim back to the Urology Clinic and asked to speak to the administrative Head in a nice, calm voice. They had us in a room within 10 minutes and I explained what had happened and our concerns about the handwashing policies and how we thought they should be aware of the deficits we came across. Head honcho winced, stated it wasn't policy to not use proper technique and they were glad to be told. Come to find out his assistant is not a nurse or aide, she's an X-ray tech and will be taught policy. As for the doc not much was said, just a pained expression and would Jim like to get in to see him sooner. We declined and asked for a different Urologist and that appt will be on the 19th of July. I shudder to think of others that maybe have a TBI or passive personality that get wronged. Jim has a TBI and would have never questioned a doctor's ways, opinion or methods.

  7. #7
    Dear lilsister you'd think these irrogant professionals or quacks would have better manners and cleansing procedures . I hope they wash their hands after handling someones privates then going out for lunch lol it sounds gross and makes me sick thinking of negligence and gross tableside manners .

    I irrigate my SP tube from time to time and sometimes i've noticed floaties or little whitish cloudy stuff floating around in the bag or clear connector hose especially after I have a severe bladder spasm episode but I drink alot of pure water and flush out my system literally 24/7

    I wish you both the best
    maybe go lpok into using a different urologist ...

    Good luck
    Sincerely;
    Gypsylady

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsister View Post
    Thank you so much for the response, often I feel very lonely in these issues. Just to update you, I did get an order for an ultrasound and afterwards took Jim back to the Urology Clinic and asked to speak to the administrative Head in a nice, calm voice. They had us in a room within 10 minutes and I explained what had happened and our concerns about the handwashing policies and how we thought they should be aware of the deficits we came across. Head honcho winced, stated it wasn't policy to not use proper technique and they were glad to be told. Come to find out his assistant is not a nurse or aide, she's an X-ray tech and will be taught policy. As for the doc not much was said, just a pained expression and would Jim like to get in to see him sooner. We declined and asked for a different Urologist and that appt will be on the 19th of July. I shudder to think of others that maybe have a TBI or passive personality that get wronged. Jim has a TBI and would have never questioned a doctor's ways, opinion or methods.
    good for you, lilsister.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lilsister View Post
    Thank you so much for the response, often I feel very lonely in these issues. Just to update you, I did get an order for an ultrasound and afterwards took Jim back to the Urology Clinic and asked to speak to the administrative Head in a nice, calm voice. They had us in a room within 10 minutes and I explained what had happened and our concerns about the handwashing policies and how we thought they should be aware of the deficits we came across. Head honcho winced, stated it wasn't policy to not use proper technique and they were glad to be told. Come to find out his assistant is not a nurse or aide, she's an X-ray tech and will be taught policy. As for the doc not much was said, just a pained expression and would Jim like to get in to see him sooner. We declined and asked for a different Urologist and that appt will be on the 19th of July. I shudder to think of others that maybe have a TBI or passive personality that get wronged. Jim has a TBI and would have never questioned a doctor's ways, opinion or methods.
    good for you, lilsister.

    we get soooo much help from this lil old site called carecure.

  10. #10
    That's great you were there! Even so not only hand washing but gloves are appropriate for catching specimens from any medical staff. It may be different for family as you're right to wash your hand but anyone else needs to wear gloves on this procedure. Good for your to talk with the Admin. I encourage others while in hospital and any problem with any staff to speak with the Nurse Manager but in your case at the office to talk with Admin. Also anyone doing anyone's care should give their name and if they're a Nurse or tech. Good for you. My best and hope this problem clears up . My best.
    ________________________________________

Similar Threads

  1. SP Cath. clogged up
    By GoTWHeeLs in forum Care
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-24-2007, 01:03 AM
  2. clogged toilets ... argh!
    By dan_nc in forum Care
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 03:19 AM
  3. suprapubic catheter clogged
    By Jimi5 in forum Care
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-20-2006, 05:08 PM
  4. clogged uretha indwelling catheter
    By Daughter in forum Care
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-08-2006, 01:51 AM
  5. clogged sphyncter
    By giambjj in forum Care
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-11-2002, 03:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •