Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shirataki Noodles! - MUST TRY

Shirataki Noodles! - MUST TRY

What I'm about to tell you may change your life forever! Okay, maybe not but I love them that much :-)

Shirataki noodles, non-tofu version, are a Japanese noodle that have almost 0 calories, 0 carbohydrates, and 0 fat. The carbohydrates it does have are healthy soluble fiber. I also saw them on Rachel Ray not long ago as one of the foods you must try.

They work AWESOME in any Asian dish. I have been eating them all lots lately as I get trim for my wedding in August. They are so filling it is incredible. They've been around for hundreds of years and I just discovered them!

It's very difficult to get the non-tofu version off-line, unless you are in Japan. I have been using one website to get mine, but they are available from many online Asian food stores.

You can find out more below (which is where I get mine). This company tried to capitalize on the US market, hence the name... look for the Angel hair variety.

http://www.miraclenoodle.com/

There is a catch and the reason why they're not as popular as they should be. They are packaged in water (they are made up of a Japanese root vegetable 3%, and 97% water) and have a fishy smell to them upon opening. You just have to rinse them. I believe it is the lime use during the process of making them or something that causes the smell; no fish were involved. After rinsing water solution away, the smell is gone.

My favorite dish to make at the moment is Pad Thai.

Last edited by Lewis; 06-29-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Blog Entries
    I didn't care for them. Anyone who sends me a lable can have mine.

I want to hear what others think of them???? I'd like to try, but hate to have to buy 10. I'm a pasta lover tho.

Oh when I go to Chinese I always get rice noodles (at least i think thats what its called). Do they taste similar???? From the pics it looks very similar
    Last edited by gurly2356; 06-29-2010 at 10:55 PM.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I want to hear what others think of them???? I'd like to try, but hate to have to buy 10. I'm a pasta lover tho.

Oh when I go to Chinese I always get rice noodles (at least i think thats what its called). Do they taste similar???? From the pics it looks very similar

Me too!

I think the 'thin rice noodles' from Chinese restaraunts are typically called 'Mein Fun' noodles. My daughter loves them!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post

I hear you about having to order 10 just to try it. I was the same way, but fortunately fell in love. Many other sites on the Internet offer them and you can buy them individually. Here's one for instance, Asian Food Grocer :-)

Some people describe them as rubbery. I do not. They do however have more of a resistant bite than say an egg noodle.

I use the following steps to get perfect results and meals every time

1. Open the bag into a strainer or colander.

2. Rinse actively 3-5 minutes and boil lightly for 1 minute.

3. Hand dry the noodles with a paper towel or regular bath towel until dry.

4. Add to finished sauce or dish and that is it!!

gonna try them.

Been looking for these, a diabetic's dream food. Do you swear they won't cause "anal leakage", like the last few miracle foods? (LOL, I know, they wouldn't have lasted so long if they did! Would have gone the way of miracle potato chips...run down the leg and off the market! Ew, I just grossed myself out.)

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Been looking for these, a diabetic's dream food. Do you swear they won't cause "anal leakage", like the last few miracle foods?
    No, they have not caused me any discomfort or bowel issues. I don't suggest eating more than a package as a serving, though.

LOL, when I first read your message I thought it read, "like the last few miracle noodles?" That's all I'm saying...

Anyone else try them??? I want to hear some more reviews on what others think...
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.