Thread: Foley balloon size question for SCI nurse

Foley balloon size question for SCI nurse

I am a male C7 incomplete SCI using IC for bladder management. I use size 16 fr caths and cath approximately every 4-5 hours depending my fluid intake. My current bladder capacity is 400-450cc (from a recent urodynamic study) and I use no anticholenergic drugs. My question is, to make airline travel easier on longer trips without changing planes I would like to use a foley cath connected to a leg bag. What size balloon do I use and how much saline should be injected into the balloon? How long can I leave the foley in?
    I feel this approach would be better and safer than depriving myself of fluids on longer flights since I prefer not cathing myself in the plane. It would also allow me to take longer flights and not using stop overs to cath. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

get the 16 fr with 5 cc balloon and fill it up with 8-10 ccs.
    You can keep it in for as long as you need, just don't keep it in too long ( a week or two shouldn't hurt)but your bladder will begin to shrink and you have a good caacity(ucky you! and the chance for infection does increase with an indwelling so I would remove it when you get settled where you are going.
    Have a nice trip.

CWO