Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to live if one cannot live alone?

Where to live if one cannot live alone?

What are suggestions of places to live/be cared for if one cannot live alone and does not own a home? My first thought is a Nursing Home, but are there other options?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Assisted living centers often function as a good choice. You can come and go as you choose, but there is someone there for needed assistance. Nursing homes, in my opinion, should be the absolute last resort, especially for someone youngish. There is an assisted living center up the street from where I live, and I see the paratransit vans in and out of their constantly, taking people where they choose to go, and when they choose too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Assisted living centers often function as a good choice. You can come and go as you choose, but there is someone there for needed assistance. Nursing homes, in my opinion, should be the absolute last resort, especially for someone youngish. There is an assisted living center up the street from where I live, and I see the paratransit vans in and out of their constantly, taking people where they choose to go, and when they choose too.
    Thank you Eileen; I would agree in that a Nursing home would be a last resort.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

You might check out HUD apartments. They're usually dialed in with the disabled transit and with aides and such. The rent is I believe based on income, meaning it should be cheap if you don't make a lot of money. I know the HUD apt complex in my town has tenants with live in care-givers. Good luck.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Most assistive living in FL expect the residents to do their own personal care. The facility cooks, cleans and provides 'common areas' so people aren't isolated.

Renting with attendent care would be your best bet I think.

You might also check out the communities where there are SCI specialty hospitals: e.g. Kessler, Shepherd's, TIRR, Craig (there are 16 throughout the U.S.). That way you'd know that the surrounding area is pretty wc friendly and familiar with SCI, i.e. PCA's, Urology, transportation, Sports, activities, etc.

Good luck, Chris

you can rent and apartment. get on a waiting list for a disabled community, look for an accessable room or inlaw type suite to rent, you may be elegable to move into an adult community, sometimes those are for rent, though rarely.

Just wondering why you cannot live alone? Cannot afford it (consider a roommate)? Don't have attendant care (do you have Medicare or Medicaid waiver attendant programs in your state, and have you applied)??

In my state, Assisted living is just as expensive private pay as a nursing home, but is not paid for by either Medicare or Medicaid, and in order to qualify, you must be independent in bowel and bladder care. They will provide light transfer assistance, some dressing and bathing assistance, and will supervise your medications, but will not do bowel care or caths or manage indwelling catheters. I do know some that will take people who need this type of care, but then would require that you hire your own attendants to do that, so even more expensive.

Your best bet is to avoid so-called nursing homes (where very little actual nursing takes place).

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    You might check out HUD apartments. They're usually dialed in with the disabled transit and with aides and such. The rent is I believe based on income, meaning it should be cheap if you don't make a lot of money. I know the HUD apt complex in my town has tenants with live in care-givers. Good luck.
    Yea, HUD apartments i believe take about a 1/3 of say a SS check for rent, but then also deduct medical expenses which then lessen the amount of your share of the rent.