Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Incompletes and Gas....bowels!

Incompletes and Gas....bowels!

c7 Incomplete here...I do walk and get around pretty well. One of my biggest and most limiting problems esp in business and public is gas and bowel issues....fear of going in my pants....fear of passing major gas that I can't stop say when I'm being introduced to someone or when standing and talking to someone. This makes me sit a lot and not get up from my desk...and to go home after work instead of any kind of social life....

Anyone else have anything close and know how to manage?

I'm a C7 incomplete confined to wheelchair forever more and I would kill to have your problems.

just sayn'.............

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    I'm a C7 incomplete confined to wheelchair forever more and I would kill to have your problems.

just sayn'.............
    And there are millions of people worse off than you who would kill to have your problems. Just sayin.....
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Hi,
    Decreased mobility as part of SCI can make gas worse. Many have tried products such as beano and determined which foods are gassy for them and try to avoid them.

AAD

i just tried activated charcoal tablets and it seems to be working well. just take them 30 min before u go out
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Try a probiotic that helps treat gas and bloating. Also, stay away from gassy foods. My son gave up lettuce and takes a probiotic - it seems to be helping.

Yes, I know....I'm very lucky to function as well as I do....I'm not taking it for granted just trying to make the best of it.

Does the charcoal absorb other nutrients and vitamins? I know they give it to people who OD to absorb....wouldn't want it to absorb my meds?

I've tried Beano...didn't really work for me.

I'll try probiotics...do you suggest pills or something like Kefir? I have to put Kefir on my dogs food every day....makes a huge difference in what comes out of him.....

Thanks for your help.....

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoYnFl View Post
    Yes, I know....I'm very lucky to function as well as I do....I'm not taking it for granted just trying to make the best of it.

Does the charcoal absorb other nutrients and vitamins? I know they give it to people who OD to absorb....wouldn't want it to absorb my meds?

I've tried Beano...didn't really work for me.

I'll try probiotics...do you suggest pills or something like Kefir? I have to put Kefir on my dogs food every day....makes a huge difference in what comes out of him.....

Thanks for your help.....
    yes it can absorb meds and nutrients. tis why i take before i go out as i know i won't be taking any meds. so dont take it along with ur meds in the am or pm.

u can also try the bettermarriageblanket (kid u not, that's the name) and cut it to the size of ur cushion and just resew the edges. it has activated charcoal in it to absorb gas. there is also underwear available that claims to help by absorbing with activated charcoal liners
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

I just heard of that underwear product, which is very interesting concept. I don't know of anyone who has tried it. I would be cautious of using activated charcoal on a frequent basis orally though.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoYnFl View Post
    Anyone else have anything close and know how to manage?
    Go to Walmart and get some Alfalfa tablets and B-12. Both reduce flatulance. Take the alfalfa with breakfast and dinner. Take 1 1000mcg B-12 with breakfast. If you take the B-12 with dinner, it will keep you awake most of the night.