Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking on New Chores

Taking on New Chores

Less than two week ago my wife moved into a ranch style condominium, all WC accessible. At my insistence we purchase new washer and dryer, both front loading, the purpose being I would become the chief family clothes washer, dryer and folder.

The front loading machines are much easier for me. I use a grabber to load and unload and a smallish laundry basket that I can maneuver within the laundry room. For ease of movement I plan to put casters on the basket.

I want to lessen Marget's load and believe this is something I can do to accomplish my goal.

I enjoy doing the laundry, at least for now, and having the new machines make it less of a chore.
    Last edited by wazabiker; 06-26-2010 at 03:23 PM.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

If this was Facebook, I'd be hitting the "Like" button.

My first chore after paralysis was mowing grass on the enormous, hilly lawn of my West Virginia farm. I wound up with the riding mower on top of me with the motor still running and gas dripping on me. Strangely, it made me feel like I was alive again.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 06-26-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I think this is wonderful. Our daughter moved out in August and I gave her our old washer and dryer and purchased a front loading set for us at an auction with hopes that David would help out more too. So far the only thing I can get him to do is dust the tables once a week and take the garbage out. He is more...thats a girls job. I am still trying though and I will tell him about you. I also bought a clothes hamper from Walmart, it has three cloth bags to sort the laundry out and also a bar on top to hang the clean clothes, its on wheels too. I think it was only like $30, its kinda cheaply built but if you keep up with your laundry and don't let it get stacked up high in there it should last, so far I love it.

That's great wazabiker. Your new place sounds perfect.
    FO-glad you survived the mower incident. Before SCI Dave flipped the rider mower in a ditch.

Works Two Ways

I have a not well hidden agenda in taking more of the housekeeping chores. That is not buring out my wife/caregiver. I would be up the creek without a paddle if she goes on the disabled list.

The new place is a breeze to keep cleam. All hardwood or tile flooring and we're jettesting some of the dust collecting knick knacks.

Attempting to make our lives more simple.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

wow, someone else doing the laundry would be so cool. brownie points for such a thoughtful effort.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    I think this is wonderful. Our daughter moved out in August and I gave her our old washer and dryer and purchased a front loading set for us at an auction with hopes that David would help out more too. So far the only thing I can get him to do is dust the tables once a week and take the garbage out. He is more...thats a girls job. I am still trying though and I will tell him about you. I also bought a clothes hamper from Walmart, it has three cloth bags to sort the laundry out and also a bar on top to hang the clean clothes, its on wheels too. I think it was only like $30, its kinda cheaply built but if you keep up with your laundry and don't let it get stacked up high in there it should last, so far I love it.
    Well if it's a "girls job" then a "man" should have no problem doing it...IMO

I agree 100%. I am doing the "man jobs" like mowing, remoding, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    If this was Facebook, I'd be hitting the "Like" button.

My first chore after paralysis was mowing grass on the enormous, hilly lawn of my West Virginia farm. I wound up with the riding mower on top of me with the motor still running and gas dripping on me. Strangely, it made me feel like I was alive again.

Fo, I can understand doing something you did pre SCI can make you feel whole again, almost.

Extremely glad to know you escaped further tragedy. But hell, without taking some risks, live is meaningless.

Why go through life timidly, only to arrive at death safely?
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Spare Time

After reading your profile MS Wife, my first thought-- what does Wonder Woman do with her spare time? Now I know, you mow lawns and remodel homes.

If I were living alone, there are certain methods I would use for housekeeping, etc. However, my wife of nearly 50 years has her ways and places where stores things and I am not about to upset this arrangement. We are compromising on food placement in the new side by side refrigerator to make it more convenient for me. My plan is to cook more of our evening meals.

We moved into this condo to make it easier on us both, and it seems to be working out. Unfortunately we still have a beautiful home in the mountains of western NC to sell. And, the housing market is going away from us at this time.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now