Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: House

Quote Originally Posted by tigger74 View Post
    Deadeye, ever house I draw for people I always talk them in to 3' doors where needed and a bathroom with room for a roll in showers. Everyone is going to get old someday...
    I got lucky and found a house that was built wheelchair accessible by the previous owners. They are realtors who decided to build the house with the intention to sell it 4-5 years later, then build and sell again. They enjoyed the design and building process. They have been realtors for 20 years and realize the need for wheelchair accessible housing so they made every door 36" wide, including closets and walk/roll-in pantry. The master bathroom has a bathtub and a walk-in/roll-in shower made with glass block. You can't really tell it's a roll-in shower until you look in the side entry and see my showerchair, otherwise it looks like a large walk-in shower. The bathtub isn't accessible, it's a very deep whirlpool/jacuzzi tub that has a step-up to enter. I would have to use a lift to get into it, I don't use a bathtub so the setup works for me. I pointed it out to them and they are now going to design all future homes with an accessible master bathtub and pass the info on to home builders they know The other 2 bathrooms in the house are wheelchair accessible, with accessible bathtubs and handheld shower heads.
    Renee

Interested in your handicapped house with the ramp to the basement...

Quote Originally Posted by new dimension View Post
    Interested in your handicapped house with the ramp to the basement...
    If you have any questions you can email me at tigger1474@yahoo.com.

Advice

Tigger-

Great house plans! I would love to ask your advice and opinion on a house I am helping to design right now. My 13 year old Nephew has a spinal cord injury. My parents are building a house for my Brother and two nephews. They are doing a slab foundation and having a contractor do the metal roof and framing. They plan to finish the rest themselves except the electrical. Unless the contractor comes back with a great price.

I am an engineer so my father asked me to draw up a set of scale drawings in CAD for him. We are still in the design process on the layout. To get a building permit where they are building it you can get by with handdrawn plans so mine are mostly for layout and planning.

I am doing as much research as I can to make sure it is accessible for my nephew. I am not an architect so this is new to me. I may email you some pdf's of my floorplan if you don't mind making suggestions. Also any suggestions on the best place to order rollin showers and acessible tubs would be great!

~Marie

Send them to tigger1474@yahoo.com. I would be glad to take a look at them...
    Brad
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie925 View Post
    Tigger-

Great house plans! I would love to ask your advice and opinion on a house I am helping to design right now. My 13 year old Nephew has a spinal cord injury. My parents are building a house for my Brother and two nephews. They are doing a slab foundation and having a contractor do the metal roof and framing. They plan to finish the rest themselves except the electrical. Unless the contractor comes back with a great price.

I am an engineer so my father asked me to draw up a set of scale drawings in CAD for him. We are still in the design process on the layout. To get a building permit where they are building it you can get by with handdrawn plans so mine are mostly for layout and planning.

I am doing as much research as I can to make sure it is accessible for my nephew. I am not an architect so this is new to me. I may email you some pdf's of my floorplan if you don't mind making suggestions. Also any suggestions on the best place to order rollin showers and acessible tubs would be great!

~Marie