Quote Originally Posted by tigger74 View Post
Deadeye, ever house I draw for people I always talk them in to 3' doors where needed and a bathroom with room for a roll in showers. Everyone is going to get old someday...
I got lucky and found a house that was built wheelchair accessible by the previous owners. They are realtors who decided to build the house with the intention to sell it 4-5 years later, then build and sell again. They enjoyed the design and building process. They have been realtors for 20 years and realize the need for wheelchair accessible housing so they made every door 36" wide, including closets and walk/roll-in pantry. The master bathroom has a bathtub and a walk-in/roll-in shower made with glass block. You can't really tell it's a roll-in shower until you look in the side entry and see my showerchair, otherwise it looks like a large walk-in shower. The bathtub isn't accessible, it's a very deep whirlpool/jacuzzi tub that has a step-up to enter. I would have to use a lift to get into it, I don't use a bathtub so the setup works for me. I pointed it out to them and they are now going to design all future homes with an accessible master bathtub and pass the info on to home builders they know The other 2 bathrooms in the house are wheelchair accessible, with accessible bathtubs and handheld shower heads.