Thread: Microtel Inn & Suites

Microtel Inn & Suites

They are offering a 20% for United Spinal Assoc members, I received an email from the assoc with a coupon card to print. The accessible rooms look very nice but I have not stayed here yet.

Their wheelchair rooms are generally excellent with the big exception of the beds - some have those high beds making transfers difficult. You may want to call asking for a measurement of bed before making a reservation. They seem very good regarding other accessibility needs.

I stay in one once, and it was very nice. They were very accessible. I remember one feature was extension rods with a big loop on the end to close/open the curtains. Anybody can put bars in an oversize bathroom, but if they are willing to do the small things like this, it tells me they are really trying.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Someone I know stayed in a regular room at a Microtel, and it did have those high beds...so high that I could not sit on the bed...but I'm short...lol.

They did have a continental breakfast that was included also when my friend stayed there. The room was neat and clean, however tiny...but fairly nice for the amount of $ they spent for the room... The staff also seemed very nice. Just what I know about it which basically is not much, but ancientgimp is right...call ahead to the actual hotel at your destination, not the corporate address and ask about the beds...

I also will say that when my friend stayed there, they had a promotion going at the front desk that if you stayed for so many nights you got a discount on the next night or something...I would ask about such promotions... It was kinda like a frequent flyer deal at an airline but it was for staying at the hotel.

high beds are "in." have been for a while at all chains. have complained and complained. nobody changes.

Yeah, this high bed trend is annoying. I first saw them in a Hilton in '02 and was told they were changing all their beds to be high. I've stayed in some Hyatts and Crowne Plazas and Holiday Inns and a few others since then with mixed results in bed height.

Ask the staff to remove the frame, sitting the bed down on the box springs on the floor, and it can be a pretty good height. I've done this more than once, and hotel staff is usually very helpful. I recommend Holiday Inn Express.

I haven't stayed at Microtel, but I'll look into it on my next trip.

It's hit or miss re: bed height @ Microtels. My wife and I just did a little road trip between NC & Chicago and stayed in Microtels the nights that we just needed a place to crash (i.e. show up @ 11pm, leave in the a.m.), as their prices are often less than others. We've generally been pleased, but they're very basic & not terribly spacious. For any lengthy stay we'll opt for other hotels.

Indianapolis, IN: great bed height. Charleston, WV: a little too high.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Yeah, this high bed trend is annoying. I first saw them in a Hilton in '02 and was told they were changing all their beds to be high. I've stayed in some Hyatts and Crowne Plazas and Holiday Inns and a few others since then with mixed results in bed height.

Ask the staff to remove the frame, sitting the bed down on the box springs on the floor, and it can be a pretty good height. I've done this more than once, and hotel staff is usually very helpful. I recommend Holiday Inn Express.

I haven't stayed at Microtel, but I'll look into it on my next trip.
    alot of times i just push the mattress off the bed put a cover on the springs and crash
    I did stay a microtel in raleigh about 5 years ago, it was good for the price and had a decent size bed, i always go for the roll-in shower.
    i have a microtel scheduled in sept, hope it's okay
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

I like them b/c they allow dogs and tend to have a nice selection of tea bags in the lobby. I've stayed at the one in Independence KS many times. It is def more accessible than my mother-in-law's house!

Some people ask them to take the legs off those tall beds. This should work if the legs screw on.