Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Last Airbender

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    I'd be open to that. I enjoyed Miguel O'Hara in Spiderman 2099 and have no problem with Pavitr Prabhakar. But an Earth 616-based film with a black actor cast as Peter Parker would be uncool.
    You're such a nerd. But I hear you and tend to agree. I loved Miguel O'Hara, and the Spider-Man 2099 series all together! Some of my favorite Peter David writing, and the artist Rick Leonardi is awesome.

I don't think Shyamalan's racist or the casting was intentionally racist, but I'm pretty sure there were actors of appropriate ethnicities who would be good fits for the main roles. I think it's inherently demeaning.
    Well, you have a point. But as an Asian friend of mine pointed out in a recent discussion about this, anime in general tends to Westernize the looks of the characters, and they often don't even look Asian; so 'n' so also mentioned that many Asian cultures, including Indian, Korean, Japanese, SE Asian, etc, tend to favor lighter skinned and caucasian features as more desirable, as wrong as that may seem to us.

None of this excuses the casting issues you've pointed out with this movie, of course. Just things to think about. Also, I've noticed in anime that often the bad guys have the more Asian looking eyes while the good guys tend to have the bigger, more caucasian looking eyes. I've read that this is more about the big eyes looking more childlike and innocent, but I've always wondered if there's something else behind it. After all, one of the most popular form of plastic surgery among Asians is eyelid surgery.

And in the context of this discussion... given that much of anime has these westernized biases (favoritism or racist undertones, if you will, according to so 'n' so) in the visual representation of the characters (ie - inherently demeaning), then maybe the film casting more caucasian looking actors doesn't seem to be as demeaning as you and kenzeezy seem to think? Or, to put it another way, perhaps the original anime series is just as demeaning as the film casting? Honestly, without the Asian names, one often wouldn't know a particular character is supposed to be Asian. Think about even some of the first anime imports, Speed Racer and Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman), for example. Most of the characters look caucasian even though they were all originally created for a Japanese audience.

Anyway, I would like to see more Asian actors in Western/American films in general. But I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    You're such a nerd. But I hear you and tend to agree. I loved Miguel O'Hara, and the Spider-Man 2099 series all together! Some of my favorite Peter David writing, and the artist Rick Leonardi is awesome.
    Cyberpunk + genetics = Awesome. It's hard to go wrong with that formula.

Well, you have a point. But as an Asian friend of mine pointed out in a recent discussion about this, anime in general tends to Westernize the looks of the characters, and they often don't even look Asian; so 'n' so also mentioned that many Asian cultures, including Indian, Korean, Japanese, SE Asian, etc, tend to favor lighter skinned and caucasian features as more desirable, as wrong as that may seem to us.

None of this excuses the casting issues you've pointed out with this movie, of course. Just things to think about. Also, I've noticed in anime that often the bad guys have the more Asian looking eyes while the good guys tend to have the bigger, more caucasian looking eyes. I've read that this is more about the big eyes looking more childlike and innocent, but I've always wondered if there's something else behind it. After all, one of the most popular form of plastic surgery among Asians is eyelid surgery.

And in the context of this discussion... given that much of anime has these westernized biases (favoritism or racist undertones, if you will, according to so 'n' so) in the visual representation of the characters (ie - inherently demeaning), then maybe the film casting more caucasian looking actors doesn't seem to be as demeaning as you and kenzeezy seem to think? Or, to put it another way, perhaps the original anime series is just as demeaning as the film casting? Honestly, without the Asian names, one often wouldn't know a particular character is supposed to be Asian. Think about even some of the first anime imports, Speed Racer and Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman), for example. Most of the characters look caucasian even though they were all originally created for a Japanese audience.
    I won't argue with you and s'n's that many anime characters are partially Westernized, but that was their creator's decision. Avatar: TLA was created specifically with the Asian influence and Asian-style characters. Had the original characters been created as caucasians, the casting wouldn't bother me at all.

Anyway, I would like to see more Asian actors in Western/American films in general.
    Too true. I wouldn't mind seeing greater diversity all around and am happy that shows now semi-regularly include couples composed of different races.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Something I just learned. There were four comic-style videos created for an online game Avatar Escape from the Spirit World. These videos depict what happened in the spirit world while Aang was unconscious after being shot down by Azula in the Avatar State.

Commercial-free marathon starts in 15 minutes! Starts with the first episode season one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    Commercial-free marathon starts in 15 minutes! Starts with the first episode season one.
    I must find the Avatar to restore my honor!
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

After some more thought, my favorite two characters are probably Toph and Iroh, not Ty Lee. My love for Ty Lee derives from two things: her carny past and this scene from The Chase:

Ty Lee: They're not wads... they're more like bundles... bunches? It has an 'uh' sound...
    Mai: Clumps?
    Ty Lee: Clumps! They're clumps!
    [hugs Mai]
    Whereas Toph is awesome in most everything, be it proving her father wrong by demolishing The Boulder and crew or inventing metal bending.

As for Iroh, he just makes you want to be a better man. I would love to play Pai Sho with him.
    Last edited by Steven Edwards; 06-28-2010 at 02:16 PM.

The Boulder: The Boulder feels conflicted about fighting a young, blind girl.

Toph: Sounds to me like you're scared, Boulder!

The Boulder: The Boulder's over his conflicted feelings, and now he's ready to bury you in a rock-a-lanche!

Toph: Whenever you're ready, The Pebble!

I won't argue with you and s'n's that many anime characters are partially Westernized, but that was their creator's decision. Avatar: TLA was created specifically with the Asian influence and Asian-style characters. Had the original characters been created as caucasians, the casting wouldn't bother me at all.
    Understood.

Too true. I wouldn't mind seeing greater diversity all around and am happy that shows now semi-regularly include couples composed of different races
    Yeah, I agree. Still a long way to go with diversity in television and film, more so in TV, I think.

Potentially exciting news: Avatar: Legend of Korra is being developed.

My aura has never been pinker!