Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Last Airbender

The more I consider this, the more I think it's going to be a complete "re-imagining" of the original. I suppose there's something to be said for that. If we want something like the original, we can just watch the original, right? Still it's hard to see the characters we love die on the big screen huh?

Have you been watching the Avatar marathon? Some of the episodes have this "pop-up video" element that's kind of interesting, albeit occasionally silly.

Next up for Hollywood to wreck for me: Tron Legacy

I have watched several episodes during the marathon. I find the pop-ups annoying usually, but find some of them amusing.

No Bumi. No Jong Jong. (Source) Confirmed via IMDB.

There's still Master Pakku, though.

I'm losing my ability to care about this movie.

I have high hopes for Tron: Legacy!
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

With all the money being put into this film, as with practically any film, it would not have been hard to cast accurately. But just to quickly note, I think my point may have been missed. If any character were generally casted, I would not mind a difference in race, ethnicity, or skin tone in the least bit. What bothers me in this particular case of study is the fact that the "good guys" in the show are not white, yet the actors consist of a white cast, while the "bad guy(s)" (re: the PALEST guy in the show) is casted as a Hindu/Indian actor who people may also think looks Middle Eastern. Filmmakers doubtlessly think about what they want their audience to see and what they want their cast to allude to, especially with all of the money involved.

So, since the cast has been messed up imo, the next best thing would definitely be for the actors to capture their characters' essence. Special effects won't pull it all off for me.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Yeah Kenzeezy I guess I hadn't thought of it that way. I don't think of Middle Easterners as bad guys but I guess many Americans might make that connection.

King Bumi might not make an appearance until the second movie. Maybe?

Edit: Looks like there's no Teo either. What a surprise.
    Last edited by Lazlo; 06-25-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Edit: No Teo

They probably won't even include Sokka's haikus in the second, Lazlo.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    They probably won't even include Sokka's haikus in the second, Lazlo.
    Ha ha I just watched that one too.

But wouldn't it have been great to see Teo in the film? Would have made me overlook some other flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazlo View Post
    But wouldn't it have been great to see Teo in the film?
    It would have. I guess Suki's the only earth kingdom member they want to introduce at this point.

Toph?

I fear they may let this girl be Ty Lee. I would cry.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Casting matters to me when the characters are already well known and were designed with a specific racial background in mind. The whitewashing is disturbing. As kenzeezy says, it's racist.
    Casting matters to me as well, and a black Spidey wouldn't be blasphemy or anything, but it would completely change the dynamic of the basic character. It could be a cool alternate reality thing though. Anyway...

As for The Last Airbender, I haven't seen the anime series, but since M. Knight Shyamalan is Indian, I don't know that one should assume the casting was intentionally racist. That's a pretty strong accusation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Casting matters to me as well, and a black Spidey wouldn't be blasphemy or anything, but it would completely change the dynamic of the basic character. It could be a cool alternate reality thing though.
    I'd be open to that. I enjoyed Miguel O'Hara in Spiderman 2099 and have no problem with Pavitr Prabhakar. But an Earth 616-based film with a black actor cast as Peter Parker would be uncool.

As for The Last Airbender, I haven't seen the anime series, but since M. Knight Shyamalan is Indian, I don't know that one should assume the casting was intentionally racist. That's a pretty strong accusation.
    I don't think Shyamalan's racist or the casting was intentionally racist, but I'm pretty sure there were actors of appropriate ethnicities who would be good fits for the main roles. I think it's inherently demeaning.