Thread: Wheelchair vans - raised roofs?

Wheelchair vans - raised roofs?

For those of you who sit quite tall in your chairs (say, 56" or more), what types of van conversion do you use? I know you can have minivans adapted with a raised roof, but what about the doorways?

Hi Scaper,

I am fairly tall at 6'3". I am using a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country with a lowered floor. My VR councilor checked on raising the roof but was advised against it by the top three conversion companies. The right side door of my van is fine for my chair which has a 20" wide recreational seat in it.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I have a 1996 Ford Windstar with an IMS conversion (IMS is not in business anymore) that has worked great for me for 14 years. It has a lowered floow, a remotely operated sliding door, a fold out ramp and kneeling. I sit 57 inches tall in one of my power chairs and 55 inches in my new one. I learned to tilt my heard just a little to clear the doorway in my older chair. I will be taking delivery on a 2010 Honda Odyssey with a VMI conversion around the 4th of July. It has a lowered floor, auto sliding door, a ramp that slides out from under the floor, and kneeling. I tried getting in and out of the demo Odyssey at my conversion dealers shop. At 55 inches sitting height in my new chair, I have room to spare (2 maybe 3 inches) without ducking. The van will have an EZ lock tie-down.

I would warn against raised top too. In my opinion, the raised top minivans are unstable, especially in high winds. While most public parking garages today are built with enough height to accommodate the height of full sized vans, there are still many around that aren't tall enough to accommodate full sized van heights or minivans with raised tops. When there are alternatives to raised tops in the marketplace, I don't see the point of buying a vehicle you will have for a long time and possibly limiting where you can go, park, etc.

Hope you have a mobility conversion dealer near you, who has a VMI and a Braun conversion to minivans to show you and have you try out.

Thanks! It's not for me, I'm pretty small, but a friend who sits at 58".