Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Spinal Cord Injury Site "Scar Tissue"

I've found that orally consumed proteolytic enzymes, which digest proeins (presumably the chondroitin-6-sulfate glycoproteins, NOGO, etc), such as bromelain and papayin, to be of tremendous benefit in helping to recover sensation post-injury. I've never taken them for a long time due to side-effects (bowel problems in the form of liquification of feces preumably due to the digestive effects or possibly even allergies). If I keep taking these enzymes I suspect the results would lead to greater benefits, especially if combined with otherr protocols (such as oxygen therapy (in the form of dilute hydrogen peoxide solutions) and nicotine in addition to Alpha Lipoic Acid , etc. as I have recently explained elsewhere on this forum). Has anyone ever tried using these enzymes to cure spinal cord injuries?
    Last edited by Ryan B; 03-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks for this; very interesting. Runny bowels are never nice, but for us they are a big deal. If treatment were to become part of SCI care units the problem would be more manageable.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thank you, Chris. I'm always willing to share my insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan B View Post
    Thank you, Chris. I'm always willing to share my insights.
    Please keep posting them.

Another supplement I take which I forgot to mention, because it is not directly related...is potassium ioddide. I take this to combat urinary tract infections and also to combat digestive tract infections and food poisoning. At the moment I am using it to prevent an infection in a severe burn to my foot. I use a very low dosage 225 micrograms per tablet. Sometimes I take several tablets a day if one does not help. I try to avoid doing this frequently for a long period of time to avoid problems with taking too high a dosage. Hiigher dosage tablets in the mg range are available (such as 35 mg) and these are more effective against infections but definitely should not be taken frequently for a long period of time to avoid thyroid gland dysfunction. I also use highly dilute hydrogen peroxide which seems to be effective for most infections. Not all but most. What the peroxide doesn't kill, the potassium iodide usually will.

The problem I face is that while I can keep bladder infections from becoming extremely severe using these methods, I cannot keep them away completely. due to the fact that I use intermittent catheterisatiion to void the bladder. For some reason, keeping the bladder infections at bay seems to help with recovering function. I suspect this may be due to neuro-toxins being produced by the infecting bacteria affecting my nerves (some of these neurotoxins even cause paralysis!). An alkalizing diet in addition to alkalizing supplements also seem to aid tremendously in recovering function, possibly because it helps to battle bladder infections.

If anyone attempts to try these supplements, etcetera, I should warn you to AVOID using potassium iodide while taking carbonates/bicarbonates, or vice verse, because the potassium iodide (probably the potassium ions) seems to react in the body with the carbonate/bicarbonate and causes severe adverse reactions in addition to reversing any progress I have made in recovering function.
    Last edited by Ryan B; 04-16-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Whatever it is growing in my spinal cord (the syrinxes aren't) is continuing to make things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    Whatever it is growing in my spinal cord (the syrinxes aren't) is continuing to make things worse.
    It might be inflammation.

Just a rant-I am sick of having symptoms that mimic an expanding syrinx without having an expanding syrinx. Whatever keeps growing in my cord, which is not a syrinx (the difference between my two little stable syrinxes and what keeps growing between them-which I was told scar tissue-is definitely visible when the neurosurgeon shows me on my MRI scans) is continually making things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by alan
    Just a rant-I am sick of having symptoms that mimic an expanding syrinx without having an expanding syrinx. Whatever keeps growing in my cord, which is not a syrinx (the difference between my two little stable syrinxes and what keeps growing between them-which I was told scar tissue-is definitely visible when the neurosurgeon shows me on my MRI scans) is continually making things worse.
    i'm going thru the same thing, loss of strength, loss of stamina, huge increase in pain but according to mri and my doc the syrinx is stable.

Molecular Trick Diminishes Appearance of Scars, Stanford Study Finds

"Scars are normally formed when a type of skin cell called a fibroblast secretes a protein called collagen at the injury site"

http://blog.cirm.ca.gov/2015/04/22/m...d-study-finds/

Maybe Wise or another researcher can say if this discovery can be also useful to cure SCI.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming