Thread: What has gone wrong?

What has gone wrong?

From an article from 2011:

"Young says his research will bring hope to sufferers of spinal cord injuries whom to date, medicine has not been able to treat in any meaningful way. "It's achievable not just within our lifetime, but within a few years", said Young. "I believe we can fix a person enough so that someone who doesn't know them wouldn't know that that person has a spinal cord injury. To me that's a cure!"

http://www.cordbank.co.nz/cordbank-n...ry-cord-blood/

What has gone wrong?
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

To a large extent, the election of George Bush in the USA in 2000 has hampered the biotech revolution. It can be argued that the Republicans and their anti-science rhetoric have probably set science back ... 25 years?

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    To a large extent, the election of George Bush in the USA in 2000 has hampered the biotech revolution. It can be argued that the Republicans and their anti-science rhetoric have probably set science back ... 25 years?

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    From an article from 2011:

"Young says his research will bring hope to sufferers of spinal cord injuries whom to date, medicine has not been able to treat in any meaningful way. "It's achievable not just within our lifetime, but within a few years", said Young. "I believe we can fix a person enough so that someone who doesn't know them wouldn't know that that person has a spinal cord injury. To me that's a cure!"

http://www.cordbank.co.nz/cordbank-n...ry-cord-blood/

What has gone wrong?
    At least he tried. He showed that there were no damage in the procedure. The percentage of trials that change the world is pretty low.
    In hind sight should he of course have been more conservative in his prediction. Most people find it difficult to be unbiased towards their own work.
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeHalsted View Post
    Well said, it is probably very true.

Quote Originally Posted by scimike View Post
    Well said, it is probably very true.
    Some parts of the ban were changed in 2009

Will funding cuts kill scientific discovery in the US?

Phil's Rant on Science Funding in the United Kingdom