Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZR/ZRA frame/seat depth question

ZR/ZRA frame/seat depth question

I'm considering ordering a Tilite ZR or ZRA in the near future, Likely size 16x16 with a 1" longer frame depth. My question is... couldn't I just order a 16x17 and trim "1 off the seat upholstery and have the exact same frame/chair for $120 less??

I wonder if that would throw off your center of gravity setting?

curb - i think there may be something in your logic. again it comes down to the pricing of wheelchairs and what is considered 'an extra'
    of course if you're trimming offthe upholstery yourself this is going to be extra work for you and you'll likely need to have the upholstery re-stitched by an upholsterer. if you can do that for under $120 of your time plus money then you may have your own answer.
    for me it'd take too much time to bother fiddling with and i'd probably pay the extra $120 to get the chair i wanted from day 1.

I trimmed off mine on my current ZRA that was to long and hitting the back of my legs. I bought a inch shorter cushion and then snipped away, doesn't look pretty but it works. No COG as your feet, your legs and your ass are all still in the same place. If it does effect it any then move the COG.

While your issue speaks to the larger issue of TiLite charging $120 to do nothing more than use 16" deep upholstery on a 17" deep frame (should be no charge IMO), is trashing the upholstery on a brand new chair worth saving a few bucks?

Would be for me if I was paying out of pocket, I could easily do a crappy stitch job myself with a needle and thread to fix what I caused, but I cut it just a tad bit shorter then the length of my cushion and when I'm setting in my chair and my legs are in front of it you really can't tell unless you were looking for it.

I'd hardly call it 'trashing' the upholstery... I trimmed the seat upholstery on a Quickie GPS I had many years ago even hack sawed the mounting rails, no one would ever had been able to tell I did it. I'd be ordering the tension adjustable by straps seat (another upcharge) because I like the ease of adjustability with it, I think that should be even simpler to trim...take me 10-15 minutes. Yeah $120 isn't a great deal of money but the less ass raping I can take from buying a medical necessity (wheelchair) out of pocket I'll go for.
    Anyway I wasn't looking for a lecture on modifying the upholstery just wanted to know if it would be the exact same frame as I was assuming.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by curb View Post
    I'd hardly call it 'trashing' the upholstery... I trimmed the seat upholstery on a Quickie GPS I had many years ago even hack sawed the mounting rails, no one would ever had been able to tell I did it. I'd be ordering the tension adjustable by straps seat (another upcharge) because I like the ease of adjustability with it, I think that should be even simpler to trim...take me 10-15 minutes. Yeah $120 isn't a great deal of money but the less ass raping I can take from buying a medical necessity (wheelchair) out of pocket I'll go for.
    Anyway I wasn't looking for a lecture on modifying the upholstery just wanted to know if it would be the exact same frame as I was assuming.
    Thanks.
    My post was not intended as a lecture. I pay out of pocket too. Just Google "tension adjustable by bungee". I did that because I was already over-budget for my chair and couldn't justify tension adjustable by straps back upholstery.

Modifying tension adjustable straps seat upholstery could actually be more difficult than bolt on because the front and back straps are sewn into the sling and are a primary source of support. Strap placement is also limited by the locations of the crosstube, wheel lock & side guard clamps.

Going 16x17 with tension adjustable by straps seat upholstery will allow you to move it back 1/4-1/2". I moved my 16" upholstery back to get a little more tubing before the bend...

Thanks SCI OTR, thats helpful to know. Either way I will find a way around that bs upcharge for the same frame with 1" less fabric if I decide to go with a ZRA. It's not even so much the money as it is feeling like a retard for giving them more money for basically nothing. I find some of their other upcharges laughable too.
    If I decide on getting a fixed rear seat height I'm going with a top end crossfire, it already comes with tension adjustable by straps seat & back upholstery and the "1 longer seat depth. The only reason I'm considering a tilite ZRA is because I might want about an"1 of rear seat height adjustment and I don't like top ends funky seat on their adjustable crossfire.

Is the upholstery a synthetic "nylon" weave? If you cut that, you may not like the results. It frays faster than a girl getting out of her panties on prom night. Or a guy, if he likes to wear panties. No need to discriminate. Cutting nylon requires melting the edge to do it properly. So, yeah, the frame will be the same but your seat pan will be messed up could easily tear without a proper end seam.

It's much easier and cleaner to unscrew the front of the mounting rails and fold the upholstery under, then screw them back down, IMO.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.