Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: no change yet

curiosity

are you expecting any return or are they just testing safety of surgery and treatment? have you lost function right after surgery or at all?

Bill:

Hi Bilby! I keep checking this thread hoping you'll report some changes for the good. Also, I'm not sure I understand what scar tissue you're referring to as having complicated your operation. Was the scar tissue outside or inside the cord. Did it involve the gliar scar, and if so, did they remove it? If not, did they actually open your dura mata to expose your cord, or did they inject the cells through the dura mata sight unseen? Were the cells implanted in the lesion or in healthy white matter (or gray)? Can you steer us towards any publicized studies that showed functional results from this treatment in animals?

Thanks and good luck!

James Kelly

Hi Jim-

They injected the cells at the site of the injury, after exposing the cord. They removed some of the scar tissue, (I assume it was the glair scar) but not all. If they removed all the scar tissue my Dr. said I would of had a gap of an inch in my cord. Obviously stem cells can't grow in that environment.

The only study I can refer you to is the one done by Dr. Mcdonald.

I took a leap of faith, if it works great, if it doesn't, i'll try again.

You're all going to have to do it someday if you plan on getting better. When your dealing with the spinal cord, I doubt there will ever be an absolute guarantee that a potentail therapy will work. All you can do is wait, improve the odds, and hope your included in them.

bill

[This message was edited by bilby on August 15, 2001 at 09:53 PM.]

Bilby,

Have you spoke w/ the other guy (Charles Detrick) from Schenectady that was the other person who had the same operation. I cought the tail end of him on the local news (I live in Saratoga) the other day. He was saying that he feels much better & has better mobility post surgery.

Hope you feeling great!

BRAVO!!!

"I took a leap of faith, if it works great, if it doesn't, i'll try again.

You're all going to have to do it someday if you plan on getting better. When your dealing with the spinal cord, I doubt there will ever be an absolute guarantee that a potentail therapy will work. All you can do is wait, improve the odds, and hope your included in them." BRAVO Bilby!!! No one could have said it better! You are truely a brave pioneer in the fight to overcome paralysis! You are in my prayers daily, please believe that! You are doing your part and more in this all out war against SCI! I truely admire you, and hope that I will be as brave as you in Ecuador! The CURE will come!

Curious...

What sort of evaluation were you given before surgery? Did a therapist evaluate you for sensory and motor below your injury? Were neuromuscular recruitment metrics taken with an EMG unit? Have you started any therapy?

Eric Texley

$$$$$$$$$

I was also wondering if this operation cost you anything?

Birde- Thanks for the compliment, you have a generous spirit. I'm sure you'll be plenty brave enough for your upcoming trip.

I can't believe you quoted me without correcting my poor grammar. You made me a dummy twice over. hehe

Eric-The therapy I do is left up to my own accord-electrical stim, hand cycling, push ups, stretching, wheeling three miles a day (hills included) and standing in my easy stand whenever I can get enough help to get in it.

Angus-It was free, except for the cost of the tv(a small fortune). On my next trip I'll try to find out some information on Mr. Detrick.

I do admire you, living in Saratoga at this time of the year must be incredible. The performing art center, the racetrack, and a sea of beautiful women, what a paradise!!!!!!

bill

[This message was edited by bilby on August 19, 2001 at 12:05 AM.]

bilby,

I can't get over how much eye-candy there is in toga town! I go to the track a bunch. Mainly to girl watch. SPAC is also a lot of fun. I was going to come down to Albany Med to say hello.... But i heard that you wern't feeling well. When i was at Albany Med i got the tv for free b/c i yelled at the tv dude for ripping these people off. I guess i made him feel bad. I wasn't in a good mood either....Maybe b/c i just had broken my neck....not sure?

Best of luck to you!

!!!

Bilby,

that's a great regimen to stay healthy. I think it would be really good for us to collaborate on what we do to keep our bodies healthy. There are so many things that I've learned from my own investigations, that differ radically from what I learned in rehab...it's UNREAL. Sometimes I am convinced that rehab is geared for the convenience of the nursing staff rather than the well being of the patients....

Take care, and God bless you.

Eric Texley