Thread: Organic vs. non-organic

Organic vs. non-organic

I try to eat pretty healthy. Whole wheat, veggies, chicken, not much processed foods and trying to stay away from the complex carbs. Don't eat much red meat but i do like it in small quantities.

Ok so what's my point? When it comes to organic I can't tell the difference in taste with produce but when it comes to red meat WOW what a difference. I bought some organic strip steaks and I couldn't finish it. The taste was so strong. Maybe it's an acquired taste but it was horrible. I have tried organic chicken and eggs and they were delicious. The red meat was in a completely different category. Has anyone else tried organic red meat and found that they thought it was foul tasting?

I ask this on a day I am off the wagon on eating healthy. I am getting ready to go to a clambake to eat dozens and dozens of little neck clams WITH butter, pulled pork, fried clams etc. etc.

Oh, and only here on cc could I ask this, Wish me luck that I don't have a bowel accident tonight. lol

I have had organice beef, and I do not recall a strong flaver. I wonder if it was aged at all. fresh meat is stronger than aged.

Cara, I found it revolting too. Organic eggs, yay, organic chicken, boo. Guess I'm used to the bad stuff, though I do try very hard to eat well.

Why are you avoiding complex carbs? Those are the good types.

I think a lot depends on how the cows were raised. Organic just means no chemicals. It doesn't necessarily mean they were grass-fed on a pasture, or corn fed, etc.
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

P.S.
    Yummmmmmm on the clams!
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

I'm trying to figure out what organic really means. When I read my water report for my city and read that there was atrazine in my water at "safe levels" I kind of freaked out. I can't believe how blind I have been. Knowing it is in there from runoff from crops is obvious, I have just been in denial so long. Now I don't know what to eat or drink....
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what organic really means. When I read my water report for my city and read that there was atrazine in my water at "safe levels" I kind of freaked out. I can't believe how blind I have been. Knowing it is in there from runoff from crops is obvious, I have just been in denial so long. Now I don't know what to eat or drink....
    addisue, a pure water filter will get rid of the chemicals in ur water. i think they are a good investment.

as far as organic goes mostly now it is kitsch. but organic foods ppl should eat are fruits with thin skins, like tomatoes and berries; grass fed beef; cage free chicken and eggs; antibiotic free milk. the usda has standards but it seems just about anything can be labeled organic and most are just as processed as their nonorganic counterparts.

talk to the farmers around you and ask to see how they do things. most who are honest will let you, eat what they sell.

i adore grass fed beef!

mmm... butter....
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

There are some things to keep in mind when dealing with the organic issue:

Organic does not mean the food is fresh. Spoiled organic meat is not a good thing. We have a couple organic supermarkets in my area and I have been surprised and dismayed by the lack of freshness of both produce and meat.

Organic does not mean that beef is from a good quality breed, e.g., Angus and Hereford. Beef from older cattle tastes stronger and is tougher. Meat from dairy breeds have fattier meat, and the fat is generally a noticeable yellow color.

Because organic raised animals and produce grow slower, they are more flavorful.

However, shipping varieties of tomatoes can be raised organically and still be tasteless. Flavor has as much to do with variety as it does to freshness and farming mode.

Range raised animals get more exercise, making the meat slightly less tender.

Most chickens sold as broilers are raise in large flocks in open areas, not cages. It is more economical. Open areas usually means closed coop floors. One advantage of raising them in coops is that they can be better protected from contact with avian flu bearing birds and other bird-borne diseases.

Most egg laying chickens are raised in cages. It is more economical to do this because eggs can be collected mechanically and continuously. Additionally, cages are cleaner and can be thoroughly sterilized when chickens are replaced.

Flock raised chickens (including free range) walk through and pick through their shit, etc., which is full a e coli and salmonella. Eggs collected from flocks are more likely to be contaminated. In SC, for example, almost all the egg-related salmonella outbreaks are currently from "backyard" raised flocks. Coops can be sterilized between flocks, but ranges/pastures cannot.

Soft fruits such as peaches and plums are most heavily sprayed, starting at bud break in the spring. Weekly spraying with fungicides and pesticides are done up to 2-4 weeks of harvesting. Fungi and bugs find them to be easy pickins.

If you never find a worm in your sweetcorn, it probably has been sprayed. Some bad things can be bearers of good news. lol

Happy shopping/eating!
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/