Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kidney stones, how do you know?

Kidney stones, how do you know?

If I had a kidney stone causing problems, how would I know about it? My injury is at T7 so I don't know if I can feel my kidneys or the tubes leading down to my bladder.

I ask because I've had a lot of UTI problems recently, and I have the slightest hint of pain coming from my right side middle back. In my imagination I picture a big ugly stone bouncing around in my kidney clogging things up

I have an appointment with my urologist in August but I'm wondering if there's anything I could be watching for now that might indicate the presence of a kidney stone, aside from a vague sensation of pain.

Bonus for reading this far, a scary pic of a giant evil looking bladder stone!. These are the sorts of things I imagine inside me. [shudder]

increase spasticity?
    i might have a bladder stone.

google it, i imagine maybe even blood?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Don't underestimate that "slightest hint of pain coming from my right side middle back". I get a similar feeling caused by reflux (backpressure) to my kidneys, especially when laying on my back.

The only way I know to check for stones is a ultrasound. And it's not something to put off. All the best print

i have a constant, dull ache in my left, lower mid back. i pass it off as muscle pain but it hurts constantly. was checked for stones about 3 yrs ago, all was clear.

Hi,

SCI folks with kidney or bladder stones often have no symptoms and that is why a yearly ultrasound or CT of this area is recommended for everyone. If you haven't had one, don't put it off.
    Others can have frequent recurring UTI's, blood in urine, difficulty passing urine through catheter or pain in lower back.

AAd

My symptom was a spasm that would ripple across my abdominal muscles like a small earthquake... under a large mountain

If someone is a C3 with no sensation below shoulders how can you know if it is a UTI? What are other symptoms?
    Do spasms increase as time goes on? It seems as if my husband has more now than a year ago, his SCI was Oct 08.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hi,

SCI folks with kidney or bladder stones often have no symptoms and that is why a yearly ultrasound or CT of this area is recommended for everyone. If you haven't had one, don't put it off.
    Others can have frequent recurring UTI's, blood in urine, difficulty passing urine through catheter or pain in lower back.

AAd
    I went to my polyclinic doctor and asked her if I need to have yearly ultrasound or CT of kidney or bladder but she said it is not necessary unless there are symptoms, isn't it contradictory?

I had a kidney ultrasound done and it turns out I have a 4mm stone in my left kidney. It's strange, I've felt a dull ache from that area for some time now, I wonder if I've been feeling the stone? The doc says it's not blocking anything so I'll be seeing him next month to discuss options.

Quote Originally Posted by weimin View Post
    I went to my polyclinic doctor and asked her if I need to have yearly ultrasound or CT of kidney or bladder but she said it is not necessary unless there are symptoms, isn't it contradictory?
    That is not consistent with clinical practice guidelines for urinary surveilence in people with SCI in the USA. Annual screening is needed to catch stones early BEFORE they are big enough to cause kidney damage or other serious complications. This is addressed in the clinical practice guidelines from the Consortium for Spinal Cord Medicine (posted as a sticky topic on this forum).

(KLD)