Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Results of AC1 test

Arrow Results of AC1 test

I've had hypoglycemia since Jr High.
    I know it can switch to diabetes.
    I had a high glucose reading at my last yearly ck up in June.
    It was 155.

So I had an AC1 test. It came back 5.5.
    Lots of 5's. lol
    Anyway,,,,,
    My Dr. said it was okay but I need to eat a diabetic diet.
    Let's keep an eye on it.

Is 5.5 bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
    I've had hypoglycemia since Jr High.
    I know it can switch to diabetes.
    I had a high glucose reading at my last yearly ck up in June.
    It was 155.

So I had an AC1 test. It came back 5.5.
    Lots of 5's. lol
    Anyway,,,,,
    My Dr. said it was okay but I need to eat a diabetic diet.
    Let's keep an eye on it.

Is 5.5 bad?
    I'm no expert by any means but for a teenager with Type I 5.5 would be very good. At the same time, eating the wrong diet can still cause unhelathy b/s spikes and probably other problems I don't know about.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Hi Mona, been a while, glad you don't have diabetes to further complicate things.

I crashed really bad, needed help and couldn't raise my glucose over 70 for 3 days crashing to 40, stopped all insulins and it persisted. sorted itself back to normal and back on 106 units lantus and humulog as needed again, new Endo this Sat.

b
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Thanks swh2007 & b.

My Dr. corresponds through their website & makes short, very short posts.
    Therefore I don't fully understand why I have to eat a diabetic diet.
    She said 5.5 is good.

b. Good to talk to you too.
    I don't fully understand diabetic talk.
    Sounds like you're better. Sorry for the problems.
    Good luck with your Endo Sat.

My husband would give a great deal for a 5.5 just now. I would too-at this rate, I'm gonna kill him before the diabetes does! It messes w/ your thinking, but you think everybody else is wrong. It is SO AGGRAVATING. This week 2 days in hospital, plus another ER visit, plus I had to drive him to endo this a.m., b/c his eyes were blurry!

I guess he's officially Type 1 now. Remember, A1C = an avg. You can have good A1C and still be spiking and dipping. The only way to know is regular testing.

Mona, just look up low carb food and recipes, but watch out for the real fatty recipes. The South Beach diet is pretty good. Personally, I think you can't go wrong w the Zone. Watch the fruits and veggies-some are great, some surprisingly high carb. Try for low glycemic index foods-whole grain bread and pasta, watch potatoes.

Last night we had chicken strips dipped in egg then dredged in parmesan cheese and fried (You can also bake it. 1 piece garlic toast, salad w/ italian dressing. Only 30 carbs, and really good!)

It's do-able. Stop it before you wind up in trouble. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    My husband would give a great deal for a 5.5 just now. I would too-at this rate, I'm gonna kill him before the diabetes does! It messes w/ your thinking, but you think everybody else is wrong. It is SO AGGRAVATING. This week 2 days in hospital, plus another ER visit, plus I had to drive him to endo this a.m., b/c his eyes were blurry!

I guess he's officially Type 1 now. Remember, A1C = an avg. You can have good A1C and still be spiking and dipping. The only way to know is regular testing.

Mona, just look up low carb food and recipes, but watch out for the real fatty recipes. The South Beach diet is pretty good. Personally, I think you can't go wrong w the Zone. Watch the fruits and veggies-some are great, some surprisingly high carb. Try for low glycemic index foods-whole grain bread and pasta, watch potatoes.

Last night we had chicken strips dipped in egg then dredged in parmesan cheese and fried (You can also bake it. 1 piece garlic toast, salad w/ italian dressing. Only 30 carbs, and really good!)

It's do-able. Stop it before you wind up in trouble. Good luck!
    Oh no Bethany. That's not good. I'm sorry the two of you are having to go through this. I didn't know diabetes could effect you mentally. I don't know why. I knew hypo could. I know that someone upsetting you can make your pancreas poor insulin. Don use to do that to me. So I guess it goes both ways. I'm sorry he's being so hard to live with. He doesn't mean to though.
    That sounds good Bethany. Thanks for all the info. Praying I don't get it.
    I eat good. But I do eat alot of fruit every day.

Why didn't my Dr. tell me it meant average?
    Medicare won't pay for testing until I have diabetes.
    How stupid is that.

Hey Mona,

Yep the HBA1C (A1C) is the average blood sugar for a 3 month period. I would give my life to have a 5.5 reading . Mine are still around 7.5. Lowest I have ever been is 7.2. Non-diabetic range is under 7. It is so stupid what Medicare will/won't cover . I swear they want us all to die!
    Try not to worry about the 5.5. I think its a great reading . I'm actually jealous!!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Hi,

For diabetics, goal is usually <7 so 5.5 is good. Was your 155 reading last year fasting? If so, that would be over the normal goal for morning fasting. Did you have your fasting retested after following a low carb diet? That would be my suggestion. Personally, I do not find A1c's too useful if you are not diabetic or consistently have higher than goal fastings.
    I would concentrate on changing lifestyle such as maintaing ideal body weight, exercise, keep BP and cholesterol within goal. also, you dont mention if you have a personal or family history of diabetes?

AAD

if you happened to have a cough around the time of the testing and you were sucking down cough syrup, that can really raise your blood sugar levels.
    i also so an article, i think pub med, where caffeine or black coffee would also raise a fasting blood sugar level.
    both happened to me, the coffee thing, one docs office said black coffee was ok the morning of the test, i used to drink a full french press, 32oz and my sugar levels wer higher then normal, i happened to see the article about coffee and sugar levels, so next time, had no coffee, and they were fine. the same with the cough syrup, spiked it a lot, but my doc had seen me for 20 years and knew it was probably due to the cough syrup.
    i never had a problem with sugar levels, but since being on all these narcotics , i bought a tester and found out my carbon monoxide moments were due to sugar dropping under 60, and that was within hours of s a big breakfast , apple.
    opiates changed my endo system around.
    just trying to say that sugar testing can be easily skewed by many things.
    cauda equina

Thanks Becky. You're a sweetheart. I hope your's gets better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hi,

For diabetics, goal is usually <7 so 5.5 is good. Was your 155 reading last year fasting? If so, that would be over the normal goal for morning fasting. Did you have your fasting retested after following a low carb diet? That would be my suggestion. Personally, I do not find A1c's too useful if you are not diabetic or consistently have higher than goal fastings.
    I would concentrate on changing lifestyle such as maintaing ideal body weight, exercise, keep BP and cholesterol within goal. also, you dont mention if you have a personal or family history of diabetes?

AAD
    No I wasn't fasting.
    I went in for my yearly blood workup.
    I ran to the lunchroom & ate a subway sandwich in between Dr. appts.
    My blood test was about 1 hr. after I ate.
    No other lab work was done. No more testing.
    Medicare won't pay for supplies to test at home.
    No family history.
    But I've been hypo since 13 yrs old. I'm 58 now.
    Ideal body weight, exercising. keeping bp right are all 3 impossible.
    I have a hugh quad belly. Worse place to have fat on the liver.
    All I can exercise are my arms & I do that religiously every morning.
    I'm on 2 bp meds & still run 140 over 95 most of the time when laying down. more in range while up.
    I watch my cholesterol & salt. Every bite I take is monitored.
    Yet my triglycerides stay high. Rest of my cholesterol is good.
    I eat very healthy but not low carb.
    I thought low carb was bad for your kidneys?

So no oatmeal, brown rice, wheat pasta, quinoa, or whole grain wheat
    bread?
    What about fruit?
    I eat blueberries with steel cut oats for breakfast.
    Morning snack celery & orange or apple
    Evening snack strawberries w/plain greek yogurt.
    Later banana, red grapes.
    Lots of fruit. No real sugar. Sometimes stevia if anything.
    I use honey in my carrot cake.

Thanks metronycguy.
    No cough syrup, or coffee. Nothing else I can think of either.
    But thanks for the info. Good stuff to know.