Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: meeting with Carl C. Kao

Dr Kao

Has anyone had this procedure done by Dr. Kao that their injury was a c4,5 and if so his or her outcome? Or anyone know who we can contact to find out?

smith 109- there were 3 people that were within that level that just had this procedure in August/September. Jake is a C4 I believe, John is a C4-5-6 and Scott is a c5-6. Jakes website is: http://www.jake15.com/ (info. is on that site how to contact him or his family). Scott's webite is: http://members.surfsouth.com/~swachob/ (again, info. is on that site to contact him). John's email is: showtm490@hotmail.com. I also believe that Kyle Burris is about that level (C4-5), his website is: http://www.kyleburris.org/ (contact info. is at the site). There are more, but I will have to find their info. It is too soon to really know how Jake, John, or Scott are doing or what the results are, however Kyle is doing pretty good, and it's still early for him as well.

Jake

Jake's injury was C4-5 complete. He was able to stand in the standing table for 7 minutes before he left Equador. He can hold his knees in a bent position and can move his legs slightly. He had not sensation below C5 prior to the surgery.

Kyle Burris

Kyle has gone from a C4-5 complete to a T5. He can stand, pick up 5 lbs weights with each hands, and mow the lawn with a lawn tractor. He is 10 months post surgery.

In just reading Kyles site

it looks like he just has sensation around the t-6 area, that is quite different from going to a c-5 complete to a t-6 complete (or t-5 as you said). It does appear though that Kao's procedure does get one a little more sensation around the chest area though, so that is encouraging.

I would also like to know if Kyle is a C-5 or a T-5? There is a huge difference. One is a quad, and the other is a para.

PN

another patient

One of Dr. Kao's recent young male patients from Texas, who was a paralyzed quad due to a spider bite, is now walking less than 2 weeks post surgery.

Does anyone know if any of the patients have regained a significant amount of sensation? It sounds as if most are getting some motor return, but very little sensory return.

I'm drawing my own conclusions here, but I believe Dr.Kao is proving that decompression can be most helpful. With most of the patients gain function so quickly, the regenerative process hasn't had time to work. I wonder what the cost difference is to have this surgery done in the U.S. versus traveling out of the country.

what should i ask?

i go this saturday to meet dr.kao at the hilton here in san deigo.Iam just wondering if poeple can give me some real good questions for him?i really want to know if this surgery will make my spine even harder to regenerate if and when other procedures come out?or is it just adding parts that should already be there?thanks jeff

Carl, on the contrary, most of the reports that I have heard included one or two levels of sensory improvement. The walking recovery cited below is one of the first times that I have heard of locomotor recovery. I hope that Dr. Kao will publish a compendium of his results. Wise.