Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: meeting with Carl C. Kao

Scott

We met and saw Scott while we were there. His parents and him are nice people! Scott made it through the operation just fine. He was having the awful headaches that I talked about and was also sick to his stomach. He is still there and having the hyperbaric chambers (2 1/1hrs. per day). It is my understanding that he is still having the headaches. Some have them, and others don't. The 3 Americans who are there are Jake, Scott, and Jay (spider bite). There are also 3 Ecuadorians there as well.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by birdeJ:

I don't have too much pain, and the numbness I used to have is gone completly.

----------------------------------------------
    BirdeJ,

When you say numbness, is it kindda similar to burning pain? If not, did you have any burning pain before? If so, did the surgery eliminated that pain also?

the numbness I had was in my butt and in my hands and lower arms. Dr. Kao said that the numbness in my hands and lower arms was most likely (or could have been from) the compression on my spinal cord, I am not sure if that's why my butt felt numb all the time too. I had burning pain in my lower back around the injury level (T10). The burning seems to be gone, however since the operation I have what seems to be a hypersensitive area on my back on the left side about the shoulder blade area....not by the scar or insision area...farther over. My back is soar around the T10 area too, but does not burn...Dr. Kao did chissel away a considerable amount of bone in that area though. He said that "soarness" will subside/go away in time.

BirdeJ,
    It sounds as if you were incomplete before the surgery, would have rated yourself an ASIA B or C?

Thanks.

ASIA SCALE

That's a good question Seneca, I guess I never asked Dr. Kao what ASIA scale he would classify me under. The two surgeons that did my previous operations in the U.S. (Milwaukee and Madison) as well as my general doctor all said I was ASIA A. I was/am fairly new to this entire SCI thing and took there word for it. I'll get back to you on what Dr. Kao says. I guess by definition I would guess ASIA C, although the only real movemont below my injury was the toes and that was slight.

4-AP

Dr. Kao gave us a contact name in Georgia for 4-AP, and we called and according to that gentlman, he is unable to supply the 4-AP to us unless we drive to Georgia and get it. Any other ideas or names on were to find it? I contacted Acorda ther. as well as college pharm. I spoke to the gentleman at college pharm. before we left, but I can't find his ph. number or remember his name. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR THERAPY AND FUTURE RETURN BIRDEJ

College Pharmacy 3505 Austin Bluffs Pkwy.
    Suite 101
    Colorado Springs, CO 80918
    fax:210-614-3362
    1-800-888-9358 ext 116
    Ask for Pete Huseman

LIVE IT UP AND LIVE IT LARGE!!!!

Jake is home

Jake and his mom finally got home yesterday evening. It took a call to the US embassy in Equador for them to be able to get on the plane. Jake is resting comfortably now. He is still rather weak from the long trip and 2 surgeries. While in Equador he had the first of two tendon transfers and his hands and forarms will be wrapped for 2 more weeks. He hopes to be able to get back to school in 1 week.

Sincerely:

JJG

Jake's physical situation before Ecuador...

hi jgiambro

What movement did Jake had before surgery?
    arms, fingers,...

Thanks for your answer

Steve

Jake

None below C5 (sensation or function) He was complete!