Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: female cathing

female cathing

Hi. I am not sure where to put this but am looking for some help. My urologist wants me to have botox injections for overactive neurogenic bladder. Which could result in a short time of self cathing. I am a heavier person with, to be honest, an abdomen roll. My mobility would prevent me from self cathing in bed but I am wondering do any of you heavier ladies self cath on toilet? How do you do it? Feel free to private me or send to my email cherie708@aol.com.

I need alot of input before i go the botox route.

thank u
    cherie

I am not heavy. but due to scaring from emergency ab surgery, I have the apron. I also have limited, though ok use of my hands, and cannot bend forward far, so must cath by feel. once you know where it all goes, it gets easier. there is a device though, thay you can get from you urologist that can help you place the straw properly. It is for women and alighns the hole on the device, to yours. If you get in the wrong place, leave it there, the catheter, and open a new one. you know not to go where the misplaced one is sitting, so try with the new one and you will probably get it right. do you have feeling? that would make it a little easier, but eventually you will get it.

also, I have heard that the botox injections may take a few times to have the right place botoxed, but it seems to work very well for most people.

Thank u for responding. yes I have feeling. I am just concerned i wont b able to do it myself and i cant depend on my caregiver to do it everytime.. Do u know what the device is called? How many hours do you go between caths and dont you have to wash super well evertime before you cath?
    thanks

astacath

it may be good to practice when you dont have to pee really bad. also to follow steril guidlines to prevent causing a uti. you will eventully be able to do it with no problem. I like the hydrophillic silicone catheters which is prelubed, but it may be better to learn with the ones that are not prelubed as they are a little stiffer, and less slippery.

thank you very much, i am on my cell internet so will check out the product images when i get on my computer tomorrow. how long have you had to cath and how often a day? do u you uti's often?

ten years, 2-6 times a day. I can pee but not completely. its not a big deal to cath. especially if it is temporary. though you may not have to. hopefully the doc will not paralyze your whole bladder.

Usually cathing 5-6X daily is recommended, with you taking 2.5 quarts of fluids (mostly water) daily, with a goal of never having more than 425-450 cc. in your bladder at each time you cath. Clean technique is fine, which can include using either soap and water or baby wipes to clean first (Betadine or other antiseptic is not needed). Even lubricant is optional for females.

(KLD)

As my family calls me Call me the Bull I am pretty tall / big woman and sometimes 12 - 40 lbs heavier and I self cathed on / off

Patience is the key Especially for big women like me , I prefer them long red ones that are super soft and easy . I used to get or buy boxes of these Bard ones or short colo plast for in my purse
    Brands will vary via individual .

It was by just some instinct / feeling I dont know how to explain it .

My urologist once asked me how I did it ?
    I replied Because I just knew
    Maybe it is a instinct or something I just dont know but I do know my body better than the doctors lmao . The last indwelling catheter I had I put in myself right in front of my surgeon no problems . I did it because the Nurse I didnt trust her she hurt me .

He said That's kool none of his other Female patients could do the indwelling thing .

Now for the time being I have a Superpubic Catheter but maybe in some time I can feel like the old me without the SP hose .I hope because I really dislike these hoses bigtime .
    Everything takes time
    Sincerely;
    Gypsylady

self cathing

I use to weigh 400 lbs when my doctor told me I would need to self cath..at the time I had an indwelling cath and was at home post back surgery. I thought, I can barely see my toes let alone my crotch and she expected me to do what?? I'll never forget that first time in the urologist office and they had me uncloth from the waste down and get on the table in a similar position you would for a gyn appt..except you are partially sitting..believe it or not she walked me through the entire thing which helping me feel my way around my anatomy. I was able to cath the 1st time I tried..I use a mentor FR 14 female cath which is disposable. This makes it much more sanitary and they are small enough to put into my purse or keep at work without people really noticing. Now it seems old hat...I've since had weight loss surgery and dropped 200 lbs initially and regained 50 due to my disability.. I still have some buldging over the abdominal area which impedes being able to clearly seeing the crotch area. But I believe almost all females will tell you that they will cath by feel..it is much easier than it will seem that first time..I have not heard of botox treatment and would be very careful and check out all you can about the side affects etc..I wish you the best.