Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Cure Forum

Well, why didn't you tell me before that mkowalski99 said a cure is coming? If I had known I would have jumped on the redeye to Mexico!?

Go to Mexico - see if I care. If that's your best argument, I'm finished with this topic. Please quit discouraging others.

cjo- you're living on fantasy island!

I've been lobbying our Senators for 2 years non-stop, along with giving to Christopher Reeve Paralysis foundation. I have been in touch ( talking with) with every company in the country that has had SCI clinical trials on the front burner for 3 years, christ, I've visited more than half of them in Mass, Albany, NYC, and spoken with some of the directors of the proposed SCI trials!
    Quit discouraging others! I am reporting what I have seen and been told for over 3 years from some of the most cutting edge scientists in the U.S. I am not gonna alter what they told me to appease newcomers and tell them what they want to hear!
    These may only be opinions', but they're coming from many of the people who are dedicating their time to help!
    Outside of the US, the only guy I've corresponded with is Dr. Lovell-Badge, who is very concerned with the loose "cure" terms flying around.

Hey I've been quoted. Cool.

There are many comparisons to SCI progress one can use. I like to think of aviation. The first flights were a joke compared to commercial travel today. It wasn't pretty but it was flight. And flying got MUCH better with time.

That's where I think we are now with SCI progress. I don't need to fly on the Concord today. I'll take a Cessna for now thanks.

Bent

How long have you been paralysed? - it can be a long long wait for a cure.

However, there are reputable groups who are more optimistic about the prospects of SCI treatment - what about Wise Young? The Brisbane group have started clinical trials. Geoffrey Raisman in London should be starting trials in the very near future - Lima in Portugal has had some limited positive results, and the results of intensive exercise have been proved by several places.

Paralysis is a most tedious and dreary condition to live with because so many pleasure once enjoyed are gone and those you still have are a struggle.

I couldn't live like this unless I thought a cure were possible and this forum is great for keeping up to date

bent,

your last post just solidified your ignorance. There is a world outside of the U.S. Chris2 made some very good points. There is also Dr. Huang in China, who is treating complete chronics with positive results.

I'm not saying that a complete cure is out there now, but to listen to you, a complete chronic has no hope for any functional gain in his or her lifetime. This is simply not true. Open your mind a little.

I am in no way living on a fantasy island. Exactly what statement do you believe is fantasy? Enlighten me, oh great one.

Information removed at request of member.

Need help&advise - losing hope...

My girlfriend's 20 year old daughter has a severe spinal injury in the thorasic region due to 10 years of cheerleading. Five of her discs are compressed as flat as pancakes and it's causing unbearable pain. Doctors are telling us that surgry is too risky, pain management says she's not qualified for a nerve stimulator and everyone says that she has to live with the excruciating pain she's in for the rest of her life. She's growing tired of fighting the pain and wants to give up since no one is giving her hope for the future. Does anyone know of a proceedure that works with this region of the spine?

Quote Originally Posted by jsellitt
    My girlfriend's 20 year old daughter has a severe spinal injury in the thorasic region due to 10 years of cheerleading. Five of her discs are compressed as flat as pancakes and it's causing unbearable pain. Doctors are telling us that surgry is too risky, pain management says she's not qualified for a nerve stimulator and everyone says that she has to live with the excruciating pain she's in for the rest of her life. She's growing tired of fighting the pain and wants to give up since no one is giving her hope for the future. Does anyone know of a proceedure that works with this region of the spine?
    jsellitt,

I am sorry to hear of this problem. She is very young to have this problem. Presumably her problem is in the thoracic area and that is why the doctors are saying that the surgery is too risky. To reach that part of the spinal column, one would need to go through the chest. She is also very young and most surgeons would hesitate to fuse that many levels of the spine in somebody who is only 20 years old. But given the level of pain that you are describing and the fact that she growing tired of fighting the pain, she should probably go see another orthopedic surgeon who might be willing to look carefully at her x-rays, to see if there is any place where the cord or spinal roots are compressed and these correspond to the location of the pain. Some careful and selected surgery can be carried out to try to relieve the pain.

Wise.

10 year anniversary

Bumping thread from july 2001.

Ten years!!! I think I was one of the first to register here at CareCure, following Wise when Cando.com died in 2001. Since then I have routinely logged in everey day, reading especially the cure-forum. Hoping for good news. Then, back in 2001, I was 100% certain that we would have The Cure within ten years. Well, still not there, I guess... But life goes on.

I just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to Wise for sticking with us for all these years. For keeping up the optimism and hope. And for still working hard to find a cure. Thank you!