Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Microcyn and Wound Care

Microcyn and Wound Care

DISCLAIMER! I'm a lousy photographer and these pictures don't come close to what I wanted to achieve. I'll try to fix them when I get to a computer with real photo software...

Almost 10 years ago, I scraped my shin bone on something and it decided not to heal. I've had more than my share of dealing with sores & wounds, so wasn't too concerned. As time went by, I tended to it in every way imaginable...sprays, balms, aloe vera leaves, voo doo, bandaged, unbandaged.

So, when I decided to start using Vetericyn on it, I decided to treat it with nothing but the wound & infection gel & spray. It received no special treatment and I haven't even tried to keep pessure off of it while laying on my side. I use the medication on it at least twice a day.

I'm impressed.

Day 1 - May 22, 2010

The wound is approximately 1" in diameter and is a stage 2 sore. I've never seen any bone exposed (but admittedly haven't looked too hard). The skin around the wound has been slightly purple since injury 10 years ago.

Day 11 - June 2, 2010

I'm slighty depressed at the healing I don't seem to be seeing. The area seems less inflamed. I'm not going to stop using the vetericyn until the bottles (1 16oz spray, 1 8oz gel) I bought run out.

Day 20 - June 11, 2010

If nothing else, I can see that the vetericyn is excellent at combating infection. The sore has granulated & scabbed over. It's never done this before. I still have at least half of both the gel & spray left to use.

Day 27 - June 18, 2010

While watching the progress in healing this past week, it dawned on me that nothing (other than injuring the spot again) will stop this sore from healing at this point! My ankle has rallied back and is looking better than it has in 10 years. I'm sold on it for wound care!

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Flicka, I too have a section of skin on my right shin that likes to get somewhat raw, and even blisters up during the spring to fall season. Not nearly as bad as your, but mostly red severe rash appearance.

My dermatologist could never find a cause for it and after a trip into the woods one spring, and getting some major chigger bites, it flared up again with 1/2" diameter blisters. I will forever believe it is directly related to my body and poor circulation being able to rid itself of the chigger poison. I started spraying Vet. on it only at night after I laid down and there is a marked improvement. I've been doing this about 10 days and will continue to see if it completely disappears.

I even had a couple little zits on my chin last week. Sprayed Vet. on a papertowel, whipped off my chin, and they were completely healed by that afternoon. Would they have healed anyway? Possibly, but the Vet. sure didn't seem to hurt.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Good Deadeye! I feel almost confident enough to say your shin WILL heal!

This is an amazing product. I hope they don't screw it up by trying to improve on it.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Microcyn and Wound Care

OK, let's get started. First, remember that Microcyn is exactly the same as Vetericyn. It is also called Dermacyn and Puracyn. Here's my first link. There's a lot of info here, one audio presentation, three video conferences (the third is in Spanish), then ten more video presentations.

http://www.oculusis.com/mexico/mp/video.php

More later.

Just to be clear that this forum nor the SCI-Nurses are endorsing off-label uses of this product, either for wound care or urologic use.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Just to be clear that this forum nor the SCI-Nurses are endorsing off-label uses of this product, either for wound care or urologic use.

(KLD)
    microcyn is fda approved for wound use
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)
    KLD,

Have you seen this do any harm? I understand your answer would be just from your personal experience and not an "offical" care cure answer. I was thinking of dropping the cash to try this on a wound I have, I don't mind wasting a little money if it doesn't work but don't want to make things worse.

Tom

Attachment 35841

It says "Wound Care" right on the label, so it's definitely not "off-label." As CG said, Microcyn has cleared the FDA for wound care, in several different stages. The latest expanded clearances came through last month, so the spectrum is pretty broad for wound care at this point.

I think Nurse KLD was referring to urological use, which has not yet undergone official clinical trials, and thus has not cleared the FDA.

Okay, just read a bunch on the product. I'm not sure it's for all wounds - sounds like they're talking about infected wounds and/or wounds with a lot of exudate. If you have a 'clean' wound that's not draining, I'm wondering if there have been results with that also?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    KLD,

Have you seen this do any harm? I understand your answer would be just from your personal experience and not an "offical" care cure answer. I was thinking of dropping the cash to try this on a wound I have, I don't mind wasting a little money if it doesn't work but don't want to make things worse.

Tom
    Hi Tom

You might want to contact CaptGimp(John) as he had some amazing results recently with some burns. He posted in the Microcyn URO thread about it.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown