Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ? for van owners

I've always had ford E150 vans
    not sure what was in the 1978 or 1990
    but my 1997 and 2005 both have vangaters, used to be crow river, but believe braun bought them out.
    i just put a swivel on the drivers seat and hop in and out, the laterest 2005 had the engine cover that came back between the seats, i still had my 1997 so i swapped out engine covers.

alot depends on who installs it also, my 1997 was done by the vanhouse and when i pulled out I never went back for anything, my 2005 was done by rideaway and went back weekly the first year it seems, and then about twice a year since, they're bloodsuckers so i've found other ways to get it fixed
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

We have a '98 Windstar with rear entry, manual ramp, that we've been reasonably happy with. It works well, as Carolyn cannot drive now. There's few ramp-related mechanical bits to break, so it will last as long as the rest of the van, and the conversion is relatively cheap. Parking is not a problem, as we're not in the city, so almost all parking is nose-in. Front wheel drive is good for the slick roads we occasionally have.

Disadvantages are: she can't ride next to me - this is a real psychological bummer. On the very few occasions we need to park on the street, we need to look around for a usable spot; sometimes I have to double-park, unload her, and park somewhere else. I'm always on the lookout for someone driving past as she's backing down the ramp, as she can't turn to see behind her.

So - it's good, but only if the chairperson isn't a driver and always has someone with them.

wow im thinkingfull sizedsounds like less problems ive got a car now but looking to make life a lil easier braun seems like a good option
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I have an '07 Braun conversion Toyota Sienna w/ an in-floor ramp. Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    I've always had ford E150 vans
    not sure what was in the 1978 or 1990
    but my 1997 and 2005 both have vangaters, used to be crow river, but believe braun bought them out.
    Pretty much the same for me. Started out with a 1975 Dodge van with a homemade lift. There weren't any commercial lifts to be found in those dinosaur days so I had a local machine shop that made apple packing equipment build one. I've always had full size vans although I have ridden in many mini-vans.

I'd never own one for a couple of reasons:
    1 - Too low to the ground for the places I go.
    2 - not enough room for all the gear I carry.
    3 - Not strong enough to pull my trailers.
    4 - Plus, the scenery is a lot nicer up in a full-size van

Other than my first homemade lift, I had a Crow River swing out lift in two vans, and then versions of the Crow River Vangater later bought out by Braun.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I have a 1998 Plymouth Voyager. Found it at www.disableddealer.com That's the way to find a great deal. Bought it 4 yrs ago. Now has 104,000 miles on it. Only problems have been due to age; air conditioner, brakes. Been very happy with the Braun conversion. Am told that they have a serial no. and whenever something goes wrong, wherever you take it they can access that specific system through Braun, unlike other conversions. We've never had any problems with the ramp. I have lowered floor but not kneeling. I use a manual and power chair. It is somewhat difficult at c6-7 inc. to get up the ramp without kneeling in my manual chair, but I consider it exercise. We paid $16,000 for a pristine, although eight yr old van and considered ourselves fortunate. Used is the way to go if through a reliable source. I would advise leather seats as my cloth ones are a challenge.

I am a L1 para in manual chair. I have a Chrysler T&C 2003 minivan. Braun Entervan with side ramp, kneeling, transfer seat and hand controls. I like the ease of entry provided by the ramp versus a lift. Especially in the rain. The ground clearance can be an issue but not a big deal. If you need to pull a trailer of any size minivans are not the way to go. I have had to replace the kneeling actuator 3 times at $900 first time. Warranty other times.

Good luck with your decision.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

mini van

I am L1 para in manual chair. I have a Chrysler T&C 2003 minivan. Braun Entervan with side ramp, kneeling, transfer seat and hand controls. I like the ease of entry provided by the ramp versus a lift. Especially in the rain. The ground clearance can be an issue but not a big deal. If you need to pull a trailer of any size minivans are not the way to go. I have had to replace the kneeling actuator 3 times at $900 first time. Warranty other times.

Good luck with your decision.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Pretty much the same for me. Started out with a 1975 Dodge van with a homemade lift. There weren't any commercial lifts to be found in those dinosaur days so I had a local machine shop that made apple packing equipment build one. I've always had full size vans although I have ridden in many mini-vans.

I'd never own one for a couple of reasons:
    1 - Too low to the ground for the places I go.
    2 - not enough room for all the gear I carry.
    3 - Not strong enough to pull my trailers.
    4 - Plus, the scenery is a lot nicer up in a full-size van

Other than my first homemade lift, I had a Crow River swing out lift in two vans, and then versions of the Crow River Vangater later bought out by Braun.
    In'74 I bought Speedy Wagon lift for my Dodge Tradesman. Went with Collins lift in '80. Used it on 3 vans. In '94 bought UVL from Collins who sold it to Braun.Bought Vangator in '04.
    Collins hydraullic was the most reliable.
    Sitting in 6 way power seat much more comfortable than sitting in w/c.I don't like driving with my knees tucked under my chin. lol
    I like the extra room too. Minivans have improved and a good option too.You need to decide how you will use your van.

Originally Posted by dscaves
    I have a 2004 Grand Caravan. We added heavier Leaf springs to the rear and it helped. It raised mine about 3 inches more I would not recommend this unless you use power chair only. We did not remove the original , we just added the new ones next to them

Quote Originally Posted by jessica62 View Post
    How much cost is need for it??????
    My Bro n Law installed them. They where under $100 a set at local auto parts store.

I disabled the kneeling system in the van also but in a power chair I do not need it
    Last edited by dscaves; 06-25-2010 at 03:23 PM.