Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Cure - dr. Young

  1. #31
    I noticed the caduceus (masonic) symbol in the top right on their site just like the spectrum cell clinic. Any link? Or am I just paranoid?

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by kivi66 View Post
    Dr.Wise,although I don't withdraw my allegation I feel uncomfortable that you've had to justify yorself,so,please,consider my outburst as "letting off steam".
    Leif,you're right,it's a bad manner to make an assertion without representing yourself,but true answer on your question "who I am" won't impress you and this forum's rules allow that.
    Kivi66, I don't mind when people let off steam. Many people do that on this site and often direct the steam at me. My skin has thickened through years of being on this site. Your criticism of my recommendations to Mad Producer to exercise, to get more education, and to make money is perfectly legitimate and even justifiable, depending on whom it is directed to. I just disagree with you that everybody in the spinal cord injury community knows this.

    What I thought was inappropriate was your criticism of methylprednisolone. Our group did discover in 1980 that very high doses of the drug improve recovery from spinal cord injury when it is given shortly after injury in animals and then did the first double-blind placebo-controlled randomized clinical trial to show that it is effective in humans. But, your criticism of me isn't the reason why I think that your comment is inappropriate.

    Methylprednisolone is currently the first and still only treatment for acute spinal cord injury that has been showed to be effective in double-blind randomized placebo-controlled trials. The doctors who claim that it is not effective have no data and nothing better to offer. I would be ecstatic if somebody were to come up with something better.

    Our clinical trials suggest that methylprednisolone restores about 20% more motor function compared to placebo controls. While that may not seem to be very much, it probably converted many people who were borderline complete to incomplete. For many people who are incomplete, it probably is the reason why 90% of people who are ASIA C on admission to hospital will recover walking within a year.

    Yes, I realize that there have not been studies to prove the above assertions but that is because there is better use of clinical trial funds than to study methylprednisolone further. We have had little or no clinical trial funding for nearly two decades and I would prefer that that the little money we have go to testing chronic spinal cord injury therapies. That is in fact what I have spent almost all my time in the past 5 years doing.

    So, please let your steam off at me but stop ranting against the only effective therapy for acute spinal cord injury. Already, there are many places in the Canada and some places in the United States that are withholding methylprednisolone from people with spinal cord injury. If you end up encouraging that trend more, it would be very unfortunate.

    If doctors want to say that methylprednisolone is ineffective, they need to show this in a randomized controlled clinical trial. Even better, they should show that they have a better treatment. Methylprednisolone is in fact the perfect control treatment against which to compare a newer therapy. Yet, nobody has done that.

    I did the original methylprednisolone experiments in 1980 and published our clinical trial results in 1990. That was 30 and 20 years ago! It indicates how poorly funded our field is when we have had so little progress in clinical treatments of acute spinal cord injury that there has been no other therapy since.

    If I were not so involved in chronic spinal cord injury studies, I would be going back and developing acute spinal cord injury therapies. In fact, I barely have time to spend in the laboratory these days because I am running around the world trying to encourage clinical trials of chronic spinal cord injury therapies. I would dearly love to spend more time in the laboratory discovering therapies and stop this crazy traveling.

    Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 06-25-2010 at 07:13 PM.

  3. #33
    Cherbear, I moved your post to its own topic:
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=136755

    Wise.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by mv740 View Post
    please everybody ignore kivi66. i thinkthat he feels very sorry for himself and he is very angry with himself. maybe he doesn't have friends o family so he let his anger go out in this forum... please really heonly wants help
    Quote Originally Posted by jim sampson View Post
    schmeky,
    we are seeing first hand the morons being created by legalized dope in denmark.he is an idiot dont waste your energy on this simpleton.
    mv740,stated above is your diagnosis,you don't need to confirm it once more.

  5. #35
    kivi66 please get on with your life. Its very clear to me why you dont have any friends and family. your attitude. this forum is probably the only place where you get any attention in your life. its sad but true. but God bless you anyway. i just think its sad.

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by mv740 View Post
    kivi66 please get on with your life. Its very clear to me why you dont have any friends and family. your attitude. this forum is probably the only place where you get any attention in your life. its sad but true. but God bless you anyway. i just think its sad.
    mv740,you're right,your attention to my life right now did it much more funny and happier.What I worry about is that you in any case feel sad.And I don't believe in god so for today get my portion of blessing for you.And,as you say,get on with your life.But mine leave to me,it's mine.

  7. #37
    Very sad, but remember God have a reason for everything. maybe you will find him again one day. believe in God and you will be normal ...

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    mumbai, india
    Posts
    183
    hey rabindra,
    i actually have gotten stem cells done through ncrm, but here in mumbai not chenai, thats why i was trying to get an opinion on them

  9. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Lansing,Il. USA
    Posts
    246
    please explain to me a c-7 high functioning incomplete walking quad post 19 years how science is going to reverse spasticity, myoclonus, neuropathic pain, muscle athrophy, chronic pain, hyperdysthesia(spelling?) thermoregulation and other complication of sci. After 19 years, with all due respect dr. young, while I think functional restoration is definetly in the picture but a so called total cure still sounds like 20- 100 years away. And of course a "cure" means different things for different people. Case in point a quad friend of mind said he would happy to just get back movement in his hands so he could do more things with his children to him that would be a cure. You know I have always been optimistic, but.......................................... anyways keep up the great work you do
    John Ponziano
    chicago

    Dr Chen sends his best

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by znop View Post
    please explain to me a c-7 high functioning incomplete walking quad post 19 years how science is going to reverse spasticity, myoclonus, neuropathic pain, muscle athrophy, chronic pain, hyperdysthesia(spelling?) thermoregulation and other complication of sci. After 19 years, with all due respect dr. young, while I think functional restoration is definetly in the picture but a so called total cure still sounds like 20- 100 years away. And of course a "cure" means different things for different people. Case in point a quad friend of mind said he would happy to just get back movement in his hands so he could do more things with his children to him that would be a cure. You know I have always been optimistic, but.......................................... anyways keep up the great work you do
    John Ponziano
    chicago

    Dr Chen sends his best
    Spasticity->rehab and hard work in gym
    Athrophy->rehab, hard work in gym and treatments like hgh to improve the strengh and muscle mass (bones density too)
    Thermoregulation, hypersthesia, myoclonus and neuropatic pain-> They are caused by the disconnect of spinal cord, so they shoul be ok (or improve at least) if spinal cord is fixed (lithium improves neuropatic pain, like Dr.Young stated).

    IMO, the main target is reconnect the spinal cord. If science can fix that, i believe that many of our actual concerns/fears about recovery will be dissipated.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

    -Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Similar Threads

  1. Dr Young / ALS cure???
    By beachlover in forum Cure
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 08:34 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 04:54 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 07:20 AM
  4. Dr. Young-questions about cure
    By bberr in forum Cure
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-26-2004, 12:37 AM
  5. Dr. Young- cure for pain
    By sbdspray in forum Pain
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-31-2004, 05:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •