Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how could you not get enough volunteers is my question

how could you not get enough volunteers is my question

what is the status on the trials currently? Last time you stated that enough people weren't participating... How are things going now? Include c4 and I will be right there
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Last time you stated that enough people weren't participating
    Sounds like recruitment has been difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    It takes time to recruit and screen subjects. The subjects are interviewed, examined, and then scheduled for tests. There are only about 400 people with chronic spinal cord injury. The trial requires people who are ASIA A, C5 through T10, whose spinal cords can be clearly visualized on MRI scores, does not have medical problems, and who have chronic spinal cord injury. Finally, the patients must be Hong Kong residents in order to take advantage of the health care system in Hong Kong which pays for medical care of its residents.

Probably over half of the patients were immediately excluded because they did not fit the above exclusion criteria. Many were ASIA B and did not qualify. Clear MRI's could not be obtained in many of the patients because they had too much instrumentation around the injury site. Several may have been ruled out because they had positive hepatitis or medical problems. Of course, some patients are just not convinced that they want to participate in a clinical trial involving surgery. The doctors are working very hard to find the 20 patients for the study.

Wise.
    -Must be a Hong Kong resident because Hong Kong provides health care
    -Many applicants were ASIA B
    -Could not produce clear MRI
    -Several had hepatitis or another medical problem
    -Some people don't want surgery

damnit!!
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

recruiting acute patients is difficult,old timers will line up.

Quote Originally Posted by jim sampson View Post
    recruiting acute patients is difficult,old timers will line up.
    If I'm not mistaken, they're recruiting chronic sci's.

Quote Originally Posted by lunasicc42 View Post
    what is the status on the trials currently? Last time you stated that enough people weren't participating... How are things going now? Include c4 and I will be right there
    The trial can only take people who are residents of Hong Kong, ASIA A, chronic, C5 through T10, ages 18-64. We must be able to obtain a clear diffusion tensor image of their spinal cord. They must not have medical problems. A number of people were ruled out because they were not ASIA A. Others were ruled out because we could not see their spinal cord clearly on MRI. That is the way it is. I am frustrated, too.

Wise.

So how short of patients are you guys right now?

Good luck!
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

If this trial were here, I might not qualify because I have 2 rods and 12 screws in my back. I've been told that an MRI wouldn't show my spinal cord very well.
    T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
    Future SCI Alumnus.
    I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

I had an MRI done last Dec. and I could see my cord pretty well. T8, ASIA A, two rods and 8 screws running from T6-T10. Maybe it is the machine.