Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of adapting a bath?

Cost of adapting a bath?

My housing co-op is taking advantage of a government subsidy program to fund renovations to low-income and accessible housing. Would anybody have an idea on the costs of turning a bathtub into a roll-in shower? This would be including an occupational therapists evaluation. I was thinking maybe $4-5000. Is that too high? Too low? We're not going with an official submission because we need to hand in our application tomorrow to have first consideration but an estimate would be nice!

Smile Bathroom Remodel

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    My housing co-op is taking advantage of a government subsidy program to fund renovations to low-income and accessible housing. Would anybody have an idea on the costs of turning a bathtub into a roll-in shower? This would be including an occupational therapists evaluation. I was thinking maybe $4-5000. Is that too high? Too low? We're not going with an official submission because we need to hand in our application tomorrow to have first consideration but an estimate would be nice!

Our remodeling of our bathroom for a roll in shower(in the plans the shower we have now is going to be extended and a ramp for roll in of shower will be added, no extra plumbing will be needed) is low bid $14,000, with a sink being converted for a w/c user and high bid $15,000 for the closet area to be used by w/c person. Still waiting on the decision from the state (DADS) since Apr. 2009. Started process in Aug. 2008. In Texas they only allow $7,500 for one time remodel to make ADA friendly one area. In some cases they will pay the entire contract if your contractor has been certified and filled out all of his/her paperwork and the eligibility/needs of the person in w/c all documented by a licensed PTherapist.
    Aggie Mom 2007

If I were you, I would quickly call the most reputable plumber/contractor you know of and ask for a quote. Tell them about your situation and ask how much a proper installation of all your needs would total. If they're any good, they should almost nail it.

I agree. You need an estimate for your specific situation.

My parents did theirs 15 years ago, and that was $10,000 to gut the old bathroom/stall shower and vanity area, jackhammer out the existing slab (to get sufficient slope for the drainage), put in a roll-in tiled shower, wall hung sink, and tile the remaining floor and wainscotting of the walls. I imagine it would be quite a bit more now.

It would also depend on the materials you use for the roll-in shower. For example, a slide-in fiberglass insert is a lot cheaper, but will not last nearly as long as ceramic tile.

(KLD)

Yeah Chris I agree that you need an estimate. Choice of material will be a big factor.

My shower was done twice. A program paid the first time and they built a ramp to a raise slab that was sloped for drainage... It cost about $1,500. The ramp was too steep and unsafe.

I paid to do it right and it cost about $5K to bust out the old roll-up shower and then the slab and grade the area for drainage, replace the tile and drain.

I put hanging basin sinks in and I LOVE them. Made no changes to the toliet area at all.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

It did cost 60 000 dollars to fix my bathroom and kitchen four years ago to make it accessible. Not any luxury at all, just a plain bathroom with a roll in shower and kitchen with electric sink and kitchen cabinets.
    TH 12, 43 years post

The hardest part is the drain ... I wanted one but the concrete had already been poured for my bathroom so I settled for a tub/bench set-up.

I think it's going to be a lot more than you're thinking. Kitchen & bathroom are always expensive.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Sarah's bathroom was just modified. The cost was $6500.00. It included a roll-in shower - all tile except for the base, new sink, ada toilet, tile floor, door widened (sp?), and paint. It is very nice. Ohio Waiver program covered the expense after we had to suffer through the bidding process. That part I truly hated! But in the end, they allowed us to state who were preferred to do the work.

Wow it sure pays to be handy. I tore out our bathtub myself, on the back side of our bathroom where the tub was was a closet (1 of 2 in my daughters room) I framed up a wall there closing off where the closet doors were. I then bought online a vertical spa (overhead shower, four in the wall shower outlets, and a handheld wand) I did hire a contractor to do the plumbing work as it was a nightmare and also to reinforce the floor, I then layed a rubber shower pad on the floor and up the walls about 3 ft. I poured the concrete (mixed it up in buckets and poured it sloping it to the center drain, I also formed up a hump so to speak out of concrete at the opening of the shower to keep the water in, l hung the durarock and layed the tile both on the floor and up the walls, grouted it and sealed it. Works like a dream, I have about $2000 in our bathroom with the vertical spa costing the most.
    Last edited by MSWIFE1; 06-03-2010 at 09:28 PM.