Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is taking Benydral for sleep unheathy?

Is taking Benydral for sleep unheathy?

My primary doctor told me to take benydral to help me fall asleep. Does anyone know if this is unhealthy since I also had a brain injury?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

benedryl is also known as dyphenhydramine, which is found in many sleep aides

i know but im asking if its bad for you?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Here is some information on Benadryl. It is not considered as benign for long term use as we used to believe, esp. in those with cognitive impairment or the elderly.

http://www.rxlist.com/benadryl-drug.htm

(KLD)

i use this but only for short term. like 1-3 days only. but only i have tried non medicated ways of trying to get to sleep
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

The answer is complex, although most people do not want to hear this. They want a "yes" or "no" answer. The problem is that no medication is completely safe. But Benadryl is very commonly used and most people seem to take it without any major issues.

Long term effects are just difficult to study--the main reason is that they take time to appear and there are so many different variables. We thought proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec were relatively safe and now are learning they may lead to bone fractures in long term use. So does anyone know all possible effects of Benadryl? No...

I agree that it can temporarily affect cognition (not that much of an issue if you go to sleep). Also it could cause dizziness which may lead to falls.

Having said all that gibberish, I think it is generally safe to take. When I worked night shift I actually took it for a few years when needed (I don't have a brain injury though).

Personally, I used benadryl now and then. However, after a few nights, it stopped being effective. It's HORRIBLE for people with dementia and many elderly people in general.
    Have you tried things other than meds like exercise, fresh air, stopping caffeine intake in the early afternoon, good sleep hygiene?
    I'd maybe ask your doctor about Melatonin. if I were you.

I just came across this and wanted to share it.
    http://www.physorg.com/news198238000.html

Drugs commonly taken for a variety of common medical conditions including insomnia, allergies, or incontinence negatively affect the brain causing long term cognitive impairment in older African-Americans, according to a study appearing in the July 13, 2010 print issue of Neurology, the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
    These drugs, called anticholinergics, block acetylcholine, a nervous system neurotransmitter, and are widely-used medical therapies. They are sold over the counter under various brand names such as Benadryl®, Dramamine®, Excedrin PM®, Nytol®, Sominex®, Tylenol PM®, and Unisom®. Other anticholinergic drugs, such as Paxil®, Detrol®, Demerol® and Elavil® are available only by prescription. Older adults most commonly use drugs with anticholinergic effects as sleep aids and to relieve bladder leakage problems.

Histamine is a hormone in the body responsible for wakefulness. By taking Benadryl, you're simply blocking it out and that is why you fall asleep.

In my opinion, go ahead and take it for as long as you like. Do you realize the drugs we ingest daily, like caffeine, that we as a society have deemed permissible over another?

Aspirin kills thousands of people every year. Yes, aspirin! Yet if you're not allergic to it or have other conditions that affect its use, you're pretty safe using it.

I second what mocusm said about Melatonin. I just tried it with good success. Safe med.