Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Today (for lack of a better title)

Today (for lack of a better title)

My sister and I went to the hospital about 45 minutes from where I live to see my father. When we parked at the hospital, my sister looked at me and asked, Todd, what's wrong? She could tell I was tense and having an attitude. I said I think I'm going to throw up. I was sick and scared to death going to see my father. It's always been my mother and me that have been sick or suffered, my dad has always been the one to witness and take care of us. It was so different.

Well, when we went into the room, he was sleeping because he's on a lot of medications. When my mother woke him a bit, he knew my sister and when he looked at me and when asked who it was he said Todd. His longterm memory is intact. It's his short-term memory that has been affected by head trauma. This is why he always needs someone in the room with him because if he wakes, he will try to get up and even think he can leave the hospital, but must be told to remain in position without assistance.

I fell asleep in the room from lack of sleep and slept most of the time, while my sister chatted on the phone and my mother was able to go to the hotel and shower and such.

The funniest part of the day was the drive back home. My sister and I just laughed, cursed like sailors, and made jokes about anything and everything. I hadn't bonded with my sister like that in a long time and it reminded me of us years ago. There isn't anything we can't make jokes about to each other.

bes tof luck to your family.. i saw a yt video and saw one of a girl that got into a car crash and had severe head trauma..

its funny now life can change in an instance, yet you never think it can happen to you.
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Hi I wish you all the best and your dad he is in my prayers .
    I sustained my situation on a motorcycle so if you ever need positive support I am always here for you
    Hugs
    Sincerely;
    Gypsylady

I'm really sorry about your dad, Todd.
    It's wonderful that you are so close to your sister. I guess you find a lot of comfort in each other. I envy you.

Sorry about your dad. Head trauma is especially scary - our own minds have difficulty comprehending the way a person thinks and acts differently from how they used to. I hope he regains his faculties.
    - Richard

I am really sorry about your dad Todd. It has to be one of the most difficult things to watch a parent have memory issues, especially since they have been the rock of the family for so long. I am glad you have your sister to lean on.

Sorry your dad is not well. I love hearing about your sister....I have awesome siblings as well!

Todd, did you see the post on Zachs Audition, this guy is hysterical, you really need to watch the videos.

Good luck Todd, hang in there.

Blog Entries
    Sorry about your dad. Head trauma is serious, but there's also a chance his brain will develop new pathways and give him some of what he's lost. Hang on to that sister of yours, she sounds precious. You'll be in my prayers.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Good Morning Todd, Hopefully this head inury will be short lived and he will be feeling like himself soon. They are such tricky things. Any prognosis yet?
    My family and I have the same humor. It gets us through a lot of hard times. It might be hard for others to understand, but it is our way of surviving.
    When Dave was touch and go in ICU my sisters and I had been up there for days. We took our scratchy bras off and hung them off of his TV to make him laugh-and it did. 3 middle aged women acting so silly in such a serious time. Soon the nurses were in on the joke and found some funny things to add.
    Sorry to get off track here Todd, but it is OK to goof off with your sister. She sounds fun.
    Please keep us posted-OK?