Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving Again

Driving Again

I was wondering how many walking Para/Quad are driving their cars- not modified in any way. And, how long after injury.

Hello Debbie,

About a year after my injury, I began driving again. I was fortunate in that I didn't need any modifications to my vehicle. In 2004, I got a powerchair and quit walking. The van I use now has a power door and ramp but that is all. I can still drive without accessories but I have to have someone load my manual chair in the trunk.

Good luck and keep the faith. It is tough going but is worth the work.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

I have been driving without modifications until now but now I have handcontrolls because I don't feel safe without. I have been driving since 1976 and did walk until 2005
    TH 12, 43 years post

women from europe.. why dont you walk anymore? are you too lazy?

:d...

Quote Originally Posted by mv740 View Post
    Because when I got older and had been walking for 34 years, I lost the function, nerves and muscles, because of overuse.

I think Wise and SCI nurse can explain it better. Even ablebody people loose and when you have very few neurons from before and loose those you have, it is not possible to walk anymore. So in some way it is better to be lazy instead of living a normal life walking all the time every day because then you don't get the overuse.

And of course I did like everybody else, I thought if I did more exercise and more walking, I would be stronger, but it is the other way, you loose more quickly. It is like post polio in a way.
    TH 12, 43 years post

wow you are wrong in everything.. exercise and praying to god is what you should do,,

Stop this shit mv740. You've done it before. It's not cool, and it's out of line.

If you can't be civil, don't post.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

wow you are wrong in everything.. exercise and praying to god is what you should do,,
    Espesially praying. What is the use of that? Do you think god is going to make a miracle only for you? I don't believe in god, he is only made for people who are afraid of dying and not satisfied with their life.

I am not the only one on this forum who have this experience, it has been written about it before and I have been discussing it with Wise and my Norwegian doctors and if you don't believe me, you are stupid and lazy in your mind since you don't even care to google it.

http://www.thecni.org/reviews/09-1-p16-menter.htm

I googled it for you...

In the area of neurologic function, we now know that approximately 15% of individuals with SCI will have additional neurologic loss or pathology after the initial recovery following SCI. This comes in many forms, such as loss of strength and sensation, increased sweating and spasticity, onset of pain, and usually occurs from cystic myelopathy and/or tethering of the spinal cord. There is also increased risk of peripheral nerve injury, such as median and ulnar nerve pathology at the wrist or elbow resulting from trauma on the elbows and hands from the abnormal use of upper extremities for mobility and function.

Conclusion. We have found that aging with SCI is not something to be taken lightly. It needs to be addressed through education and development of interventions that can be used to modify the aging process, and hopefully delay the onset of decline phase of the aging model. To best deal with the multiple issues of the aging process, a SCI individual needs to be followed in a system of SCI care, which is familiar with the aging process and has the appropriate surveillance methodology, educational resources, and interventions to deal with the aging process.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by debbier View Post
    I was wondering how many walking Para/Quad are driving their cars- not modified in any way. And, how long after injury.
    Hi Debbie,

I was driving about 4 months after. My right leg is near normal so driving an automatic transmission vehicle was easy, I was also off all meds except neuorontin which was very low dosage, I'm even off that now too. However my PT asked if I had gone to the DMV to be tested, which I hadn't and still haven't. Don't even need a left leg to drive an automatic, so it seemed pointless to even seek out a roadtest. I never asked my physiatrist if I could drive because frankly, I have a better understanding of my limitations than she does. If your right leg isn't darn near normal, if you want to be absolutely on the safe side with your insurance coverage you might call your DMV and ask for a roadtest to establish that they feel you are capable of safely operating your vehicle.