Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help understanding the many rear wheel options for everyday chairs

i think u can tell the difference in wheel weight. i noticed quite a difference when i went from the Rogue wheels to the Sun Fushions with Schwalbes Mara's mounted, the Fusions being noticeably lighter. although now that i think about it the Marvel Rogues had iron caps mounted and im assuming they may be heavier????

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    When I did finally run across some SPOX and get a pair it was like night and day in my opinion. Not only are they lighter, they run truer, don't creak and squeek as much so I can sneak up on my wife and over all a completely different thing.
    stealth approaches = priceless.

Yeah she hates it as my old metal spoked wheels always made so much noise. Even if I took em to the bike shop and had em trued, they still creak that same day. Never could sneak up on her with those on, was like I had a tracking system on as she could tell where I was in the house by the sound I made.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMach View Post
    i think u can tell the difference in wheel weight. i noticed quite a difference when i went from the Rogue wheels to the Sun Fushions with Schwalbes Mara's mounted, the Fusions being noticeably lighter. although now that i think about it the Marvel Rogues had iron caps mounted and im assuming they may be heavier????
    I think you have it exactly backward.

I have a set of Rogue wheels (titanium flange) with Kenda Iron Caps and they are demonstrably lighter than either the Spinergy LX and Round Betty Dinos wheelsets I have, both mounted with Schwalbe Marathon Evolution Plus tires. I've not weighed the wheels without the tires, so I can't provide and A-B-C comparison, but the Schwalbes are considerably heavier than the Iron Caps; they're also a much more robust tire, last a VERY long time and, so, IMO, worth the additional weight.

at least there are options

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I think you have it exactly backward.

I have a set of Rogue wheels (titanium flange) with Kenda Iron Caps and they are demonstrably lighter than either the Spinergy LX and Round Betty Dinos wheelsets I have, both mounted with Schwalbe Marathon Evolution Plus tires. I've not weighed the wheels without the tires, so I can't provide and A-B-C comparison, but the Schwalbes are considerably heavier than the Iron Caps; they're also a much more robust tire, last a VERY long time and, so, IMO, worth the additional weight.
    i agree, i like the Schwalbes too but my Rogues are heavier than my Fusions and that is is why i keep my Rogues as spares

Quote Originally Posted by BobMach View Post
    i agree, i like the Schwalbes too but my Rogues are heavier than my Fusions and that is is why i keep my Rogues as spares
    The Rogues were touted to be the lightest wheel available, the titanium hub version, anyway. The Sun Fusion, as posted in this thread by Todd @ ADI, are 1 ounce heavier than the Spinergy (presumably the LX), which all other things being equal makes the Sun Fusion a "best buy," though it doesn't claim the mantle as the lightest wheel available. (And the Rogues are no longer available.)

Vain or not, I prefer the look of the LX wheels.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach View Post
    The difference between the Spox and the Spinergy LX wheels is that the spokes on the LXs are thicker, thus stronger. These wheels also weigh less (but by how much I am not sure). These wheels have less spokes because the spokes are stronger.

The SLX wheels are the same as the LX wheels except that they are primary used for sport chairs. They have the same spoke as an LX wheel, but it has more of them than the LX because of the abuse sports chairs take.

Both Spox wheels and the LX wheels are significantly ligher (in my opinion) than a traditional wire wheel. This made a difference to me since I have some shoulder issues and I wanted my chair and its components as light as possible for pushing and for transferring into and out of my car.

Hope that helps some.
    Thanks to everyone for their responses - VERY HELPFUL!!!! It sounds like the spinergy LX is a reasonable way to go for me for everyday. Some of you mentioned other brands I am not familiar with. One, has a titanium flange? I wonder why others don't offer that....other than cost.

Also, have any of you tried to get Spinergy wheels without the logo on them? I get so tired of being a rolling advertisement for all these manufacturers! Ti-Lite used to allow you to pay extra to have logos left off your chair but this time they said no! Grrrr.