Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help understanding the many rear wheel options for everyday chairs

Help understanding the many rear wheel options for everyday chairs

Can anyone direct me to a place to understand in layman's terms what the difference is between, for example, SPOX, Spinergy LX or SLX, and the various hub and handrim options? I am ordering a new everyday chair (going with the TiLite ZR series 2) and trying to choose between the many, many rear wheel options. There are clearly so many new products since the last time I ordered (10 years ago) and even after reading everyone's posts, I am still unsure what the difference is between so many of the options for the wheels, handrims, spokes, hubs, tires, and attachments.

This is my everyday chair that I go to work etc. in, I'm not jumping off cliffs in it so I'm thinking I might not need to pay extra for souped-up, high-end wheels. Vendor descriptions like "SLX Spokes have twice the tensile strength of traditional SPOX spokes" doesn't help me understand whether either is something I want to pay for on my everyday chair.

I work full-time and have a 3 year old son, so I am constantly moving, but not sure I need over $1,000 worth of rear wheel parts!

I'm most interested in being light weight, having clean hands, and achieving efficient everyday pushing....I think that's most people's everyday goal right? I'm willing to pay for what I need but want to make sure the options I choose aren't more than I really need.

Any advice or direction is more than appreciated from the many experts on this site!!!

The difference between the Spox and the Spinergy LX wheels is that the spokes on the LXs are thicker, thus stronger. These wheels also weigh less (but by how much I am not sure). These wheels have less spokes because the spokes are stronger.

The SLX wheels are the same as the LX wheels except that they are primary used for sport chairs. They have the same spoke as an LX wheel, but it has more of them than the LX because of the abuse sports chairs take.

Both Spox wheels and the LX wheels are significantly ligher (in my opinion) than a traditional wire wheel. This made a difference to me since I have some shoulder issues and I wanted my chair and its components as light as possible for pushing and for transferring into and out of my car.

Hope that helps some.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

general rule of thumb: higher price = better engineering, better components, lighter weight, more minimalist design.

that said, you don't have to spend a lot to get the job done; wheels can always be upgraded later.

try the sun fusion16 wheels, light, very affordable & nice looking and so far very durable

Quote Originally Posted by hardcastle View Post
    I'm most interested in being light weight, having clean hands, and achieving efficient everyday pushing....I think that's most people's everyday goal right? I'm willing to pay for what I need but want to make sure the options I choose aren't more than I really need.
    there's only so much a person needs, after that it's just vanity. I have 3 sets of wheels, one set of Sun regular wire wheels, one Spinergy LX's, and another set of SLX's - if I were wheeling blind-folded I'd never know the difference between them. If you've pushed wire wheels the last ten years save your money and stick with them. The long-time wheelers I know point and laugh at my outrageously priced hardware.

Received this mailer today from Sportaid:

Sportaid's Giant Wheel, Tire & Caster Sale June 15th, 2010

2010 Sportaid Catalog Breaking News

Don't miss our Bargain Basement, full of exceptional deals on returns and scratch & dent items.

Sportaid is now offering an extra cushion cover FREE with the purchase of any ROHO cushion - no coupon required.

If you are looking for great value in urological supplies, consider the Hollister line. High quality, and typically less expensive than other comparable name brand urologicals.

Free Spinergy SPOX wheels with the purchase of a Quickie All-Court through August 31st.

Sportaid's mission is to provide equipment, parts, and supplies to the wheelchair using public at the lowest possible prices and with the best possible customer service. We strive to treat our customers like we would want to be treated ourselves. Our knowledgeable staff includes wheelchair users who have over 100 years of combined wheelchair use experience, both as as everyday users and sports & outdoor enthusiasts. Whatever your needs, from wheelchair optimized exercise equipment to aftermarket wheel sets or a new wheelchair, cushion, or other accessory, Sportaid is here for you!

Dear Wheelers,

Don't miss out on your summer tire & wheel supplies for everyday or sports applications. Take an extra 10% off any and all Rear Wheel sets, Tires, Tubes, Casters, Tire Tools, Axles, etc., as well as Racing & Handcycling Wheels through June 30th. Use coupon code SA615 for an additional 10% discount off our already low discount prices.

Best Regards,
    Jimmy Green
    Sportaid

If you need help, please call toll free 1-800-743-7203 or Intl 770-554-5033

Save an extra 10% on all Rear Wheel Sets, Tires, Tubes, Casters, Axles, Tire Tools, including for Racing & Handcycling with coupon code SA615.

Offer Expires: June 30th, 2010
    Notice: Coupon codes are limited to one use per customer, are applicable to new website orders only, must be entered at time of order, and cannot be combined with other coupons or special discount offers. Coupons are not applicable to previously purchased items.

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    there's only so much a person needs, after that it's just vanity. I have 3 sets of wheels, one set of Sun regular wire wheels, one Spinergy LX's, and another set of SLX's - if I were wheeling blind-folded I'd never know the difference between them. If you've pushed wire wheels the last ten years save your money and stick with them. The long-time wheelers I know point and laugh at my outrageously priced hardware.
    So true,a lot of these wheels are just gimmicks. I can't tell much if any difference with the wheels either. I suggest chosing a chair that is comfortable and meets your needs for your primary activities.

I suggest that you talk to people in your area that use the products that you are inquiring about. You can get a lot of valuble info here but you have to consider the source. There is a lot of BS that gets posted here.
    Paras can do things with chairs that we Quads can only dream of. lol

Slick marketing sells us options that we really don't need.

One person's gimmick is another person's essential feature. I ran X-Core tri-spoked wheels for many years, which at the time seemed like state of the art. The wheel never needed to be trued, there are no spokes to adjust; they're the most ergonomic to grab when breaking down your chair; the reach-through is great; and even today they're still very cool-looking. For some, the simplicity of the X-Core can't be beat.

But they're significantly heavier than the Spinergy LX, Round Betty Dino, and the Sun Fusion. And the hubs on the earlier versions of the X-Cores had the unfortunate tendency to uncouple from the wheel creating a major safety hazard -- the hub was subsequently redesigned.

Other considerations: some wheels can't accommodate extreme camber or have user weight limits.

For me, Glance wheels are gimmicky. They're quite heavy and far too blingy for my age set. But for the kids with fresh shoulders who like fancy rims, it's a must-have.

If they were affordable, I would love to have a set of real carbon fiber wheels, like the (made in Austria) Xentis wheels seen on this Schmicking, which probably go for over $2000, but don't quote me.

As others have said, not everything is fact, but opinion. I will say though that I also had used just regular spoke wheels and even then heavy ass plastic wheels that DME's always put on my chairs. I lived in the middle of nowhere Okla and never ran across anyone else in a chair so didn't even know what was available.

When I did finally run across some SPOX and get a pair it was like night and day in my opinion. Not only are they lighter, they run truer, don't creak and squeek as much so I can sneak up on my wife and over all a completely different thing. I've had a pair now for 4 years and am so confident that I'm never going to use the old crap again I gave it all away. If you are getting a new chair then do get some Spinergy's. I'm going with the Flexrims to see if they help with my carpel tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasWheelz View Post
    I'm going with the Flexrims to see if they help with my carpel tunnel.
    Maybe yes, maybe no. I trialed a set of Flexrim Spinergys and found that they convex hump of the rubber was pressing into my palm, pretty much in the vicinity of the carpal tunnel. The pressure didn't trigger CTS symptoms, but I found it uncomfortable. I was told that my hands would adapt to this, but I wasn't so sure and passed on them. Of course, there are lots of users who swear by them.