Thread: TiLite 2GX Caster Flutter

TiLite 2GX Caster Flutter

TiLite, or anyone, really:
    I've been having problems with caster flutter in my TiLite 2GX since I got it last August. I've adjusted the angle between the caster barrel and the floor several times and they're both as close to 90 degrees as I can get them. What are some other possible causes?

Rando,

Assuming you don't have frog legs on your chair.... First thing you should do is check the nut on the stem that the fork rotates around. This needs to be tightened time to time to retain a slight friction on the races of the fork bearings. That should cure it.

Regards.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

TiLite,
    Thanks for the response. I do not have Frogs Legs suspension forks. The nuts on the stem bolts are pretty tight - any tighter and the forks wouldn't be able to rotate freely. Should they be tighter than that?

Are the forks clamped at the same location on each side of the frame? Is it possible the fasteners for those clamps are unevenly tightened?

Quote Originally Posted by EastRando View Post
    TiLite,
    Thanks for the response. I do not have Frogs Legs suspension forks. The nuts on the stem bolts are pretty tight - any tighter and the forks wouldn't be able to rotate freely. Should they be tighter than that?
    Rando,

its the free rotation that causes the caster flutter (if everything else is accounted for). We QC the forks/casters to have minimal free rotation prior to shipping our chairs for that exact reason.

Regards.
    Last edited by TiLite; 06-16-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: QC check
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.

SCI-OTR - The forks are clamped at the same point on either side of the frame and they're both tight.
    TiLite - Thanks, I tightened the nuts on the stem bolts so that the forks/casters don't quite rotate freely. I'll test out the flutter on a high-speed run this afternoon.

TiLite - I went as fast as I dared and no flutter! Thank you. The only problem is that turning is a tiny bit more difficult.