Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: whats better paralyzed

Quote Originally Posted by flicka View Post
    Just curious...do you consider yourself "unhealthy"?
    Yes, very much so

I can't walk, i have to shove a plastic stick up my ass every other day to help pull the crap out, the slightest bit of cold makes my feet burn like they were cooked in boiling oil, a dozen naked playmates kissing me won't get me hard but transferring into my mothers car might cause one, i currently have a bag of piss strapped to my thigh, my fingers don't move, my ass is just skin and bones, my brain has felt like it would explode numerous times after suffering through brutal episodes of dysreflexia, my legs from the knee down can feel like ice cubes some days even if it's 80 plus degrees outside. That's just off the top of my head. If most able bodied folks had any of those issues, they'd feel unhealthy and on a lot of those issues singularly, they'd feel devastated

So while for a cripple i'm not all that unhealthy on this current day, for an average every day able bodied person in comparison, i'm a physical mess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuder View Post
    So while for a cripple i'm not all that unhealthy on this current day, for an average every day able bodied person in comparison, i'm a physical mess.
    Well, since you put it that way...

Very true on the average every day able bodied person statement. Even though I realize that all things are relative, I find it humorous when an AB is describing aches & pains. They also are usually under the impression that I have no pain in my paralyzed parts. If an AB were suddenly struck by these horrible shocks, needles & pins, etc. they would think they were dying.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    But isn't childbirth like the biggest trigger for dysreflexia?
    Ohhh yes...I unfortunately learned that the hard way. (Seizure due to AD.) But that is very preventable and with the use of an epidural, can be avoided completely. I am pregnant again and will be delivering the week of September 13th. The cool thing is that I get my epidural BEFORE my contractions even begin!!
    Candi - C5-7 (5/26/99) - Mom to Carter (10/29/08) and Brooklyn (9/10/10)

http://thebutchinofamily.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeMommy View Post
    Ohhh yes...I unfortunately learned that the hard way. (Seizure due to AD.) But that is very preventable and with the use of an epidural, can be avoided completely. I am pregnant again and will be delivering the week of September 13th. The cool thing is that I get my epidural BEFORE my contractions even begin!!
    wow, so cool, congrats!
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

didn't see if anyone said this one yet, but getting a tattoo on areas where i don't have sensation is a literal relaxing vibrating massage. I kind of like a little pain with tats though =)
    Courage, it would seem, is nothing less than the power to overcome danger, misfortune, fear, injustice, while continuing to affirm inwardly that life with all its sorrows is good; that everything is meaningful even if in a sense beyond our understanding; and that there is always tomorrow.
    -Dorothy Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Free car, free parking, vacation the whole year, sit in queues in the bank and postoffice, always have a seat and I am not wearing my shoes out.

The childbirths was terrible, I had the operation and it was painful for days after and they wanted me out after three days before I could get out of the bed alone
    Other than that, -what do you do.

I like being able to wipe my hands on the back of my pant legs and noone ever notices. And getting away with wearing jeans, hoodys and sneakers almost all the time.
    I am happy with my life most of the time but I still have at least an hour a day and at least an entire day each week when I hate my SCI and the problems and frustrations it causes. I appreciate that I could enjoy the life I have now more without SCI but that I have had opportunities I might not have had if it wasn't for SCI.
    But I never feel life is better because of SCI. I would grab on to a cure in a second if it were available. But would I still choose to go back and undo my SCI and take the chance on how things would turn out without it if I could? That is hard to answer without knowing what the other life would have looked like.
    C3/4 Brown Sequard

Blog Entries

why voluntarily have your toenails removed?

Quote Originally Posted by lisarolls View Post
    Today I was at the doctors having my toenails removed and my legs were spasming everywhere but thankfully no pain. That brings me to this , what things are better in life paralyzed, afterall we all entitiled to some things for all the shit we put up with. so all add the first.

1. Painless toenail removal
    unless i'm mistaken and for some reason necessary due to an underlying medical condition?

Getting to interact with a lot of strange people!
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by USASledSniper7 View Post
    Arod636 and mv740, you really need to get out and experience life! I have lived a better life and experienced more things than any of my friends and family all due to the fact that I am in a wheelchair! I would have never been introduced to sled hockey, or traveled the world, or been a Paralympic Gold Medalist, met multuiple Presidents, and or been public speaker to help change people (like yours) ideas about living life with a disability! Yea you may not be able to do things like you use to, and you may have to adjust some of your ideals such as focusing on your relationship with that one you love as opposed to just being able to "bust a nut," but there is a way to overcome any obstable and live life to the fullest. It all depends on your attitude and your approach to life. Yes you may sit there and think of everything you cannot do anymore, but think about how much time your wasting when you could be focusing on the things you CAN do! Yea I can sit in an ice rink all day and watch stand up hockey players skate around and play hockey and be pissed that I cannot stand up and lace on a pair of skates and get out there with them, or I can hop into a sled, gear up, and go amaze them with my hands and ability to shoot the puck over 50 mph with one hand! Your scope of living life with a disability and in a wheelchair is very narrow, and I hope you take the time to broaden your horizon and find the things in life that are really worth living for, and stop pitying yourselves!

so true, if it wasn't for my sci, i'd be working like a dog and would be so busy, i wouldn't have time to travel and do fun and exciting things with my children whenever i want, i'm free whenever i want.
    there is a lot of selfish people here, it happened make the most of your life, why bring others down with your sorry ass. personally, it could've been worse, i could be dead. i've done some per mentoring and have heard so many guys mad because they can't "bust a nut". those people don't deserve to have sex, it is not just about YOU.
    Last edited by jschism; 08-13-2010 at 04:55 PM.