Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hoyer Lift Sling Question- need anterior body support

Hoyer Lift Sling Question- need anterior body support

I am so confused and freaking out right now.

I had a person come from a medical supply company and the sling they brought for the hoyer lift was not what I asked for so I sent it all back.

I need a sling for a person who can't really support themselves while being lifted. The sling they brought would have allowed the person to fall out. They said that there's no such thing as a sling with any support for the upper front part of the body to keep the person from falling out. Is there such a sling or some sort of belt to use?

I've used a sling for my daughter who has no trunk control and had to send one back to med supply because I needed a higher back. I don't have the anterior support you mention and we do just fine. Maybe you are placing the person in the sling too high? I know when she is really high in the sling she feels like she could fall forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Domosoyo View Post
    I've used a sling for my daughter who has no trunk control and had to send one back to med supply because I needed a higher back. I don't have the anterior support you mention and we do just fine. Maybe you are placing the person in the sling too high? I know when she is really high in the sling she feels like she could fall forward.

I already sent it back. If I hadn't been hanging on to the chains and if I leaned forward, I would have fallen out. This sling is actually for my Grandma who has dementia. She can't remember not to lean forward or to hold on to the chains- even for a minute. And she's pretty kyphotic, so she's always leaning really far forward.

They just brought a regular sling with a commode opening.

I think for comfort reasons, the hammock one would be better, but with either some restraint belt or some support in the front. So far, none of the local medical supply companies have any other slings than the one they sent(they have it with or without the commode opening)

This is the type of sling and lift we use. My husband can only shrug his shoulders, he has no trunk or arm control.
    He is a big guy and as long as I have it tucked under his bottom I don't worry about him falling out.
    Hope this helps. It is very confusing at first.

Linda, do you know the name of the sling?
    I found this one, is your like this? It's hard to tell if it's the same sling without seeing a person in the sling for me.
    http://www.rehabmart.com/PDFs/Sling_Guide_2.pdf
    It's the one pictured on the first page. I called the company and the sales person had no idea what sling it was. I have called local companies and they don't know either. I really want the sling on page one of the link, but I can't find it and don't know what it's called.

It is a HOYER Quickfit Padded

On the tag it has Manufactured for Sunrise Medical and Distributed by Sunrise Medical 800-826-0270

The PTs at Rehab ordered it for us.
    Yes, that looks like ours as far I can tell except for Dave's has the green edge for large. It says that yellow, like the picture is medium.

We have a lift with a 6-point spreader bar. The sling hooks onto the 4 outermost hooks of the spreader bar. It looks like the second picture in the link (full back, spreader bar 6 point). There's no way anyone could fall out of it, or even actively climb out, no matter how bent her back is!
    Here's what the lift looks like, although that particular site seems pretty expensive to me.
    By the way, the illustration of a 6-point spreader bar under "cradle options" in the link you sent doesn't look like a 6-point bar to me (see my link above for what we have used).
    I seem to recall that our wonderful SCI-nurse KLD has a low opinion of the chain-type sling/spreader combination (and indeed of Hoyer). You might look into replacing it. It possibly doesn't involve buying a complete new lift, just the spreader bar and a sling.
    - Richard

Thanks.
    Unfortunately, this is being paid for by Medicare, so my options are limited.
    It appears that the quickfit padded sling is not for use with the standard hoyer lift. It's for a different model.

Can't you just adjust the chains to allow grandma to lay back a bit more when you are lifting her? You will need to push on her knees to get her to sit straight in the wheelchair though.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Can't you just adjust the chains to allow grandma to lay back a bit more when you are lifting her? You will need to push on her knees to get her to sit straight in the wheelchair though.
    My Grandma isn't always cooperative due to the dementia- she's quite agitated and combative at times and I can see the hoyer lift being a huge source of confusion for her leading to major agitation. I could position her to lay back, but she's likely to lean forward anyway. My Grandma is really old and frail. If she fell out of the sling, it'd most likely lead to her death.

I'm going to try and call more companies tomorrow to see if anything can be worked out. I could pay for the sling, but not the lift. I need Medicare to cover the lift

This is so frustrating.
    Last edited by mocusm; 06-14-2010 at 06:58 PM.